Jul 14, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
The Indians originally hoped to have Grady Sizemore in their lineup by now, but the 29-year-old has encountered numerous setbacks following knee and back surgeries. While he was finally able to do some running earlier this month, ESPN’s Buster Olney passes along word that his progress has stalled once again.
Indians not ruling out a return for Grady Sizemore this year, but not expecting anything, either. Legs haven't responded in rehab.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 14, 2012
The Indians surprised many by bringing Sizemore back on a one-year, $5 million deal during the offseason and now it appears they may get nothing for their investment.
Michael Brantley has at least emerged as a productive regular in center field, but 38-year-old Johnny Damon entered today’s action hitting just .221/.291/.349 with four home runs and a .641 OPS over 182 plate appearances. Of course, he’s also far from an ideal option defensively in left field. With Sizemore nowhere close to returning, the Indians figure to be in the mix to acquire an upgrade for their outfield in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)