Jul 14, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
The Indians originally hoped to have Grady Sizemore in their lineup by now, but the 29-year-old has encountered numerous setbacks following knee and back surgeries. While he was finally able to do some running earlier this month, ESPN’s Buster Olney passes along word that his progress has stalled once again.
Indians not ruling out a return for Grady Sizemore this year, but not expecting anything, either. Legs haven't responded in rehab.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 14, 2012
The Indians surprised many by bringing Sizemore back on a one-year, $5 million deal during the offseason and now it appears they may get nothing for their investment.
Michael Brantley has at least emerged as a productive regular in center field, but 38-year-old Johnny Damon entered today’s action hitting just .221/.291/.349 with four home runs and a .641 OPS over 182 plate appearances. Of course, he’s also far from an ideal option defensively in left field. With Sizemore nowhere close to returning, the Indians figure to be in the mix to acquire an upgrade for their outfield in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)