Jul 14, 2012, 5:46 PM EST
And what a surprise…. it’s Dan Iassogna’s motley crew.
In the top of the fifth today in the game between the Mets and Braves in Atlanta, C.B. Bucknor missed a very obvious play at first base, calling the Mets’ Jordany Valdespin out on his attempt for a bunt single. It wasn’t even a bang-bang play; Valdespin touched the bag well ahead of the throw.
Then things got ugly in the bottom of the inning, as second base umpire Bill Miller (safe) and third base ump Dale Scott (out) made conflicting calls on Jason Heyward‘s blooper to left with Martin Prado on first. The ball was clearly played on one hop by Valdespin, but Prado, seeing Scott’s call, started to retreat back to first having already touched second. The throw came back in with Prado still trotting back towards first, and Ike Davis tagged him, causing much confusion over whether there should be none, one or two outs in the play.
The umpires huddled after that one and did get it right; Heyward was credited with a hit and Prado was put back on second base, much to Mets manager Terry Collins’ chagrin. Collins, who was already out to argue in the top of the inning, got tossed after coming back out to dispute the decision.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (140)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)