Jul 14, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
And what a surprise…. it’s Dan Iassogna’s motley crew.
In the top of the fifth today in the game between the Mets and Braves in Atlanta, C.B. Bucknor missed a very obvious play at first base, calling the Mets’ Jordany Valdespin out on his attempt for a bunt single. It wasn’t even a bang-bang play; Valdespin touched the bag well ahead of the throw.
Then things got ugly in the bottom of the inning, as second base umpire Bill Miller (safe) and third base ump Dale Scott (out) made conflicting calls on Jason Heyward‘s blooper to left with Martin Prado on first. The ball was clearly played on one hop by Valdespin, but Prado, seeing Scott’s call, started to retreat back to first having already touched second. The throw came back in with Prado still trotting back towards first, and Ike Davis tagged him, causing much confusion over whether there should be none, one or two outs in the play.
The umpires huddled after that one and did get it right; Heyward was credited with a hit and Prado was put back on second base, much to Mets manager Terry Collins’ chagrin. Collins, who was already out to argue in the top of the inning, got tossed after coming back out to dispute the decision.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)