Jul 14, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Todd Helton didn’t see improvement with his sore right hip during the All-Star break, so the Rockies placed him on the disabled list prior to last night’s game.
Helton was already playing sparingly in recent weeks, as the injury has contributed to his struggles at the plate. The Denver Post reports that he’s being sent for an MRI on the hip, after which there should be more clarity on a timetable for his return.
Helton, a .320 lifetime hitter, is batting just .235/.332/.398 with seven home runs, 34 RBI and a .730 OPS in 63 games played this season. As part of a renegotiated extension which was signed in March of 2010, the 38-year-old is making $4.9 million this season and $5 million in 2013.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)