Jul 14, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Todd Helton didn’t see improvement with his sore right hip during the All-Star break, so the Rockies placed him on the disabled list prior to last night’s game.
Helton was already playing sparingly in recent weeks, as the injury has contributed to his struggles at the plate. The Denver Post reports that he’s being sent for an MRI on the hip, after which there should be more clarity on a timetable for his return.
Helton, a .320 lifetime hitter, is batting just .235/.332/.398 with seven home runs, 34 RBI and a .730 OPS in 63 games played this season. As part of a renegotiated extension which was signed in March of 2010, the 38-year-old is making $4.9 million this season and $5 million in 2013.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)