Jul 15, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
It’s been a rough couple months for Jordan Walden.
The 24-year-old right-hander opened the season as the Angels’ unchallenged closer after saving 32 games alongside a 2.98 ERA in 2011, but that role was eventually transferred to newcomer Ernesto Frieri, who’s been dominant. And now Walden is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right bicep, according to MLB.com beat writer Alden Gonzalez.
Kyle Calhoun was recalled to fill the roster vacancy.
Walden has a 3.86 ERA and 1.57 WHIP through 28 innings this season. He’s fanned a whopping 35 batters but also issued 18 walks. The Angels’ medical team can’t say for certain how long he will be on the shelf.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 12
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 38
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)