Jul 15, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s been a rough couple months for Jordan Walden.
The 24-year-old right-hander opened the season as the Angels’ unchallenged closer after saving 32 games alongside a 2.98 ERA in 2011, but that role was eventually transferred to newcomer Ernesto Frieri, who’s been dominant. And now Walden is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right bicep, according to MLB.com beat writer Alden Gonzalez.
Kyle Calhoun was recalled to fill the roster vacancy.
Walden has a 3.86 ERA and 1.57 WHIP through 28 innings this season. He’s fanned a whopping 35 batters but also issued 18 walks. The Angels’ medical team can’t say for certain how long he will be on the shelf.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)