Jul 15, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s been a rough couple months for Jordan Walden.
The 24-year-old right-hander opened the season as the Angels’ unchallenged closer after saving 32 games alongside a 2.98 ERA in 2011, but that role was eventually transferred to newcomer Ernesto Frieri, who’s been dominant. And now Walden is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right bicep, according to MLB.com beat writer Alden Gonzalez.
Kyle Calhoun was recalled to fill the roster vacancy.
Walden has a 3.86 ERA and 1.57 WHIP through 28 innings this season. He’s fanned a whopping 35 batters but also issued 18 walks. The Angels’ medical team can’t say for certain how long he will be on the shelf.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)