Jul 15, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
The Braves were in a big hurry to bring up Ben Sheets, and now we know why. Making his first major league start in two years, Sheets shut out the Mets for six innings on Sunday.
Throwing 89-92 mph with his fastball and demonstrating a surprisingly sharp curve, Sheets allowed just two hits and struck out five in the 88-pitch outing. The Braves were up 6-0 when they removed him for a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the sixth and went on to win 6-1.
Sheets didn’t know if he’d pitch again following Tommy John surgery in 2010. His elbow had major damage besides just the ligament, and he still wasn’t ready to pitch this spring after a year and a half off. The Braves signed him last month and brought him up after just two minor league starts in which he had a 5.06 ERA. It seemed like an act of desperation, but it turns out they knew exactly what they were doing.
How long Sheets’ arm will hold up this time is anyone’s guess. The 33-year-old hasn’t been an effective major league starter since 2008, and his last full season was 2004. The Braves, though, only need a half-season out of him now. For one day, at least, he gave them a nice lift.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)