Jul 15, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Taking questions Sunday before Youkilis’ return visit to Boston this week, Valentine said: “The comment I made early, he made a big deal of. And I don’t think he ever wanted to get over it.”
Well, of course he didn’t. His brand new manager decided to go spouting off to the media about his commitment to his team and his job as a whole.
What Valentine said back in April was that, “I don’t think he’s as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason.”
Even if Valentine was right about that, blabbing about it was hardly the smart approach. Although it seems Valentine eventually got his way; Youkilis was traded for a very modest return last month.
As for what has happened since, Valentine said he expected Youkilis to produce for his new team.
“I haven’t seen him play,’’ he said. “He’s gotten a lot of hits, played a lot of games. It seems like he’s healthier.’’
Asked if he was surprised that Youkilis appeared healthier, Valentine responded: “Not surprised. As a matter of fact, Maggs (hitting coach Dave Magadan) said he had no doubt if he went somewhere else he’d play better.’’
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)