Jul 15, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Cain, facing the Astros for the first time since he pitched a perfect game against them last month, allowed two runs — one earned — in 6 1/3 innings.
The Giants are now 49-40 this season, even though they’ve been outscored by three runs.
They’re one of three teams playing on the opposite side of their run differential:
Giants: 49-40 – 346 RS, 349 RA – (3)
Orioles: 46-42 – 361 RS, 400 RA – (39)
Indians: 45-43 – 395 RS, 425 RA – (30)
The big factor there: the Giants are 20-13 in one-run games. In fact, the Orioles, Indians and Giants (in that order) have MLB’s best winning percentages in one-run games this season.
There aren’t currently any teams under .500 with a positive run differential, though the Red Sox have fit that description for much of the season. They’re currently 45-44 with 438 runs scored and 395 runs allowed (+43). The Diamondbacks have exactly as many runs scored as runs allowed (377) and they’re 42-46.
The Rangers, at +73, have baseball’s best run differential, with the Yankees second at +68. Those are also the two teams with the best records in baseball. The Twins have the worst run differential at -96. The Astros, with baseball’s worst record, are second at -77.
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)