Jul 15, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
Jered Weaver hasn’t had a whole lot of luck shutting down the Yankees’ bats today, but he made them look like Little Leaguers on the basepaths.
With runners on the corners and one out in the third inning today, Weaver did the fake-to-third, throw-to-first move and caught Robinson Cano napping. With Cano caught in a brief rundown, Alex Rodriguez took off for home. Erick Aybar, though, was able to apply the tag to Cano and throw home for the unconventional double play.
Both outs went as caught stealings. The Yankees entered with an 80.3 percent success rate stealing bases (49-for-61), putting them barely behind the Angels at 80.5 (70-for-87) for the best mark in the AL.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 40
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 106
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (106)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)