Jul 15, 2012, 9:22 AM EST
The Reds will be trying for a three-game sweep of the Cardinals this evening at Great American Ball Park, but they’ll have to get it done without their ace.
According to C. Trent Rosecrans of CBS Sports, right-hander Johnny Cueto has been scratched from his scheduled turn in the starting rotation due to a blister on his throwing hand. Homer Bailey will hop ahead one spot and take the mound in his place.
Cueto will try again Tuesday vs. the Diamondbacks.
The 26-year-old Dominican right-hander has posted a spectacular 2.39 ERA and 1.16 WHIP through 18 starts this season for the first-place Reds, fanning 91 batters and walking 27 across 120 1/3 innings. He owns a 3.61 career ERA and a 1.27 career WHIP.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)