Jul 15, 2012, 9:22 AM EST
The Reds will be trying for a three-game sweep of the Cardinals this evening at Great American Ball Park, but they’ll have to get it done without their ace.
According to C. Trent Rosecrans of CBS Sports, right-hander Johnny Cueto has been scratched from his scheduled turn in the starting rotation due to a blister on his throwing hand. Homer Bailey will hop ahead one spot and take the mound in his place.
Cueto will try again Tuesday vs. the Diamondbacks.
The 26-year-old Dominican right-hander has posted a spectacular 2.39 ERA and 1.16 WHIP through 18 starts this season for the first-place Reds, fanning 91 batters and walking 27 across 120 1/3 innings. He owns a 3.61 career ERA and a 1.27 career WHIP.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)