Josh Beckett cites illness after deliberate day

Jul 15, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT

Josh Beckett AP

The talk of the Rays broadcast this afternoon was just how much time Josh Beckett took in between pitches, particularly during Tampa Bay’s three-run first. As it turned out, he was going as fast as he could.

Beckett said afterwards that a combination of battling the flu, being on flu medication and dealing with waves of dizziness contributed to his deliberate work.

The first three batters reached and came around to score off Beckett today. The first run came because he was a little slow to react to a liner that bounced off his glove. Beckett, though, was able to shut the Rays down after the early outburst. He ended up striking out seven over six innings in Boston’s 7-3 victory.

The win was his first since May 20. The Red Sox lost each of his five previous starts.

1. RedHeadedBastard - Jul 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

He’s battling a severe case of the brown bottle flu.

• wendell7 - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM

who got the win?

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM

OK, that’s the excuse for today’s game; what about his other 290 career starts? They might as well play the Chariots of Fire theme while he pitches because he moves like slow motion.

3. hittfamily - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

From someone who watched, I call BS. First, he wasn’t a little slow to react to the liner Zobrist hit. He was lucky to get a glove on it at all, cause it was scorched. Secondly, his delays weren’t walking around the mound. He would repeatedly take the rubber, get his sign, then pause until the batter called timeout. Upton had to call time 3 times in his first at bat. You could see it was pissing Upton off. The last time, Upton just waited him out, until the ump finally called timeout.

Someone who is sick and wants extra time between pitches would walk around the mound, or step behind it. Beckett took the rubber quickly, but refused to throw the flippin ball, over and over and over. He used his delaying to gain an advantage on the batter by making them uncomfrtable, and being able to “quick pitch them” by delaying 10 seconds after the sign one AB, then 2 seconds the next. It was painful to watch, and the umps should really start enforcing the 12 second rule.

• bsbiz - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Pretty hard to walk around the mound if you’re fighting waves of dizziness…

• bigleagues - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’m not a fan of Beckett, the person. I don’t even like defending him simply because he is a Red Sox player. But I do defend his pitching style and really think that the criticism is getting rather silly.

First of all, it’s absurd for you to assert “Someone who is sick and wants extra time between pitches would walk around the mound, or step behind it”. I mean, how would you know?

Especially considering the fact that Beckett is not one of the healthiest pitchers in baseball . . . how would you know how is body and mind would react to the flu and whatever medication he’s on.

He was probably on psuedoephedrine and I guess no one would be surprised if he gulped down a little extra. But anyone who taken that stuff knows if makes you feel in a zone and not like moving around too much. Considering that’s Beckett’s typical demeanor on the mound, his accounting hardly sounds like BS.

• ravensgrl - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM

If he was that sick, he shouldn’t have played.

• bigleagues - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM

ravensgrl

I would say that people go to work sick every day because they have a job to do. If Beckett didn’t pitch yesterday everyone would be complaining (myself included probably) that a little cold is no excuse to miss a Start and a real Ace would have gone out there and toughed it out . . . which is presumably what he did. (Now if only he’d become a real ace again).

Again I loathe the dude, but fair is fair.

4. pisano - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

He’s just the kind of guy you hate, an arrogant effin hillbilly.

• canoyoulie - Jul 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM

yeah cuz anyone who doesn’t live in the northeast is automatically a hillbilly. try getting out of your bubble there in the northeast and discover the rest of the world for once.

• bigleagues - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

canoyoulie

You are right, Beckett is not a hillbilly . . .which would suggest he is from the mountainous regions of the Southern Appalachians or the like . . .

Beckett is, in fact, a self-branded redneck.

Hope that helps.

5. professor30 - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM

how long before joe maddon starts cryin’ like a bitch…..again?

6. trapper17 - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yeah I would love to c beckett in slow mo replay I don’t think it would move at all. But seriously I think his time in b town is up , even though his contract is almost impossible to move oh we’ll just think at least dice k won’t b there next yr maybe the yanks will grab him lord I hope so . That’s the good news now the bad we still have John lackey returning next year a nd the year after , is my estimate ry on his contract two yrs left gee I can’t wait .

• protius - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Is English your second language?

• ray1950 - Jul 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I don’t believe that was actually English.

• hittfamily - Jul 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM

tampabay52, are you a sox fan too?

7. gotampabay52 - Jul 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I workd at the Trop for the then Devil Rays i work for NC Sports out of NY i went to CCC HS so am a Pinellas County kid the worked for the Now Rays Fuck Boston

• pisano - Jul 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

tampabay52…. why such hate for Boston, in the past you stated that they have ugly chicks, but that shouldn’t have anything to do with the team.

• bigleagues - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM

the uglychicks comment is hysterical because it shows he hasn’t a clue of what he’s talking about.

Boston chicks are wicked hawt. Here’s one of them . . .

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM

‘leagues, you sir are a stud. I had never heard of a “Maria Menounos”. Now that I’ve seen quite a bit of one….yowza. Am I a better man now? No. Probably not. Am I a happier man? Well, since there are forces at play in the affairs of mankind that sees the like of such lovingly formed people as Miss Menounos among us, then yeah, I’m pretty happy.

• bigleagues - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM

cur68 . . . happy to have helped!

LOL

PS – never heard of Maria Menounous?! Where you’ve been?!

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Canada, man. Its cold here. I cuddle seals just to stay warm.

• mjdkid100 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Cool story Hansel…

• protius - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Tampa, how about those Toronto Blowjays?

What do you think of those losers?

8. gotampabay52 - Jul 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

cell phone dosen’t cap letters like i but f boston works

• cinfante54 - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM

cell phone obviously doesn’t proof read either

• 18thstreet - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Cell phone abbreviates words that are hard to spell, like “capital.”
      Cell phone lacks comma or period.

Cell phone claimed to graduate from high school, but I have my doubts.

• 18thstreet - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Wait, at 10:03, you posted a note worthy of the Federalist Papers that included capital letters. Eleven minutes later, your cell phone dosen’t (sic) cap (sic) letters like i (sic).

Someone get Perry Mason!