Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 AM EST
Juan Carlos Oviedo‘s comeback just hit a snag.
The right-hander formerly known as Leo Nunez walked off the mound after recording just one out Saturday night in a rehab appearance at Triple-A New Orleans because of an undisclosed injury.
The New Orleans Zephyrs training staff termed the ailment as “tightness” and didn’t offer much else.
Oviedo is eligible to return from his eight-week suspension on July 23 and was hoping to be ready to rock on that date, but this setback might push his 2012 major league debut into early August.
He hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since revealing last September that he had been playing under a false name and birthdate. It was the dying wish of his father that he come clean and honor the family name.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)