Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Juan Carlos Oviedo‘s comeback just hit a snag.
The right-hander formerly known as Leo Nunez walked off the mound after recording just one out Saturday night in a rehab appearance at Triple-A New Orleans because of an undisclosed injury.
The New Orleans Zephyrs training staff termed the ailment as ”tightness” and didn’t offer much else.
Oviedo is eligible to return from his eight-week suspension on July 23 and was hoping to be ready to rock on that date, but this setback might push his 2012 major league debut into early August.
He hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since revealing last September that he had been playing under a false name and birthdate. It was the dying wish of his father that he come clean and honor the family name.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)