Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Juan Carlos Oviedo‘s comeback just hit a snag.
The right-hander formerly known as Leo Nunez walked off the mound after recording just one out Saturday night in a rehab appearance at Triple-A New Orleans because of an undisclosed injury.
The New Orleans Zephyrs training staff termed the ailment as “tightness” and didn’t offer much else.
Oviedo is eligible to return from his eight-week suspension on July 23 and was hoping to be ready to rock on that date, but this setback might push his 2012 major league debut into early August.
He hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since revealing last September that he had been playing under a false name and birthdate. It was the dying wish of his father that he come clean and honor the family name.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)