Jul 15, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
It was Verlander’s first start since he gave up five runs in an inning in losing Tuesday’s All-Star Game for the American League.
Verlander struck out eight and walked two. He’s second in the AL with 136 strikeouts, four behind Felix Hernandez. Jose Valverde pitched the final inning today with Verlander at 117 pitches after eight.
Verlander was just 5-4 after 13 outings this season, but now he’s now reeled off five wins in six starts — even though he hasn’t lowered his ERA much in the process — he should be right back among the Cy Young leaders in the AL.
With the win today, Verlander is 7-0 lifetime in 10 career starts against the Orioles.
- The beauty of belief 1
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)