Jul 15, 2012, 1:53 PM EST
From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that left-hander Matt Maloney will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on Tuesday. He can obviously be counted out for the remainder of the 2012 campaign and will struggle to make it back to full health before the All-Star break next season.
Maloney allowed 17 hits and 10 earned runs in 11 innings of relief earlier this year with Minnesota before being designated for assignment and ultimately outrighted to the Twins’ Triple-A affiliate in Rochester, New York.
The 28-year-old right-hander was a third-round pick in 2005. He currently has a 5.74 career ERA in the bigs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)