Jul 15, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that left-hander Matt Maloney will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on Tuesday. He can obviously be counted out for the remainder of the 2012 campaign and will struggle to make it back to full health before the All-Star break next season.
Maloney allowed 17 hits and 10 earned runs in 11 innings of relief earlier this year with Minnesota before being designated for assignment and ultimately outrighted to the Twins’ Triple-A affiliate in Rochester, New York.
The 28-year-old right-hander was a third-round pick in 2005. He currently has a 5.74 career ERA in the bigs.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 139
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39