Jul 15, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that left-hander Matt Maloney will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on Tuesday. He can obviously be counted out for the remainder of the 2012 campaign and will struggle to make it back to full health before the All-Star break next season.
Maloney allowed 17 hits and 10 earned runs in 11 innings of relief earlier this year with Minnesota before being designated for assignment and ultimately outrighted to the Twins’ Triple-A affiliate in Rochester, New York.
The 28-year-old right-hander was a third-round pick in 2005. He currently has a 5.74 career ERA in the bigs.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)