Jul 15, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that left-hander Matt Maloney will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on Tuesday. He can obviously be counted out for the remainder of the 2012 campaign and will struggle to make it back to full health before the All-Star break next season.
Maloney allowed 17 hits and 10 earned runs in 11 innings of relief earlier this year with Minnesota before being designated for assignment and ultimately outrighted to the Twins’ Triple-A affiliate in Rochester, New York.
The 28-year-old right-hander was a third-round pick in 2005. He currently has a 5.74 career ERA in the bigs.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (77)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (71)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)