Jul 15, 2012, 1:53 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Buster Olney comes word that left-hander Matt Maloney will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on Tuesday. He can obviously be counted out for the remainder of the 2012 campaign and will struggle to make it back to full health before the All-Star break next season.
Maloney allowed 17 hits and 10 earned runs in 11 innings of relief earlier this year with Minnesota before being designated for assignment and ultimately outrighted to the Twins’ Triple-A affiliate in Rochester, New York.
The 28-year-old right-hander was a third-round pick in 2005. He currently has a 5.74 career ERA in the bigs.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)