Jul 15, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Since Pine Tar Incident is already taken, I’m not quite sure what to call this one. The Pine Tar Episode? The Pine Tar Happening?
Miami manager Ozzie Guillen sent multiple F-bombs Bryce Harper‘s way during the fourth inning of Sunday’s Nationals-Marlins game. Nationals manager Davey Johnson said afterwards that Guillen was calling out Harper for having too much pine tar on his bat and trying to intimidate the 19-year-old.
“It got on the umpire’s nerves and it got on my nerves,” Johnson said of Guillen’s profanity. “He was trying to intimidate my player.”
Guillen called Harper “unprofessional” after the game, adding: ”I was just telling him how cute he was,” according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.
Harper refused to take the bait, saying simply that Guillen was a “great manager,” CSNWashington’s Mark Zuckerman reports.
The Nats Enquirer has a nice rundown of the proceedings, along with screenshots.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 4
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 52
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)