Jul 15, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Since Pine Tar Incident is already taken, I’m not quite sure what to call this one. The Pine Tar Episode? The Pine Tar Happening?
Miami manager Ozzie Guillen sent multiple F-bombs Bryce Harper‘s way during the fourth inning of Sunday’s Nationals-Marlins game. Nationals manager Davey Johnson said afterwards that Guillen was calling out Harper for having too much pine tar on his bat and trying to intimidate the 19-year-old.
“It got on the umpire’s nerves and it got on my nerves,” Johnson said of Guillen’s profanity. “He was trying to intimidate my player.”
Guillen called Harper “unprofessional” after the game, adding: “I was just telling him how cute he was,” according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.
Harper refused to take the bait, saying simply that Guillen was a “great manager,” CSNWashington’s Mark Zuckerman reports.
The Nats Enquirer has a nice rundown of the proceedings, along with screenshots.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)