Jul 15, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Since Pine Tar Incident is already taken, I’m not quite sure what to call this one. The Pine Tar Episode? The Pine Tar Happening?
Miami manager Ozzie Guillen sent multiple F-bombs Bryce Harper‘s way during the fourth inning of Sunday’s Nationals-Marlins game. Nationals manager Davey Johnson said afterwards that Guillen was calling out Harper for having too much pine tar on his bat and trying to intimidate the 19-year-old.
“It got on the umpire’s nerves and it got on my nerves,” Johnson said of Guillen’s profanity. “He was trying to intimidate my player.”
Guillen called Harper “unprofessional” after the game, adding: “I was just telling him how cute he was,” according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.
Harper refused to take the bait, saying simply that Guillen was a “great manager,” CSNWashington’s Mark Zuckerman reports.
The Nats Enquirer has a nice rundown of the proceedings, along with screenshots.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)