Spike Lee caught Mark Teixeira’s bat

Jul 15, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT

Spike Lee Getty Images

Spike Lee was lucky enough to snag Mark Teixeira‘s thrown bat behind the first-base dugout in the first inning of Sunday’s game at Yankee Stadium.

Here’s the video.

Michael Kay told him to, “Do the right thing and give the bat back” afterwards, but Lee decided he was keeping it and even showed off his left-handed swing in the stands afterwards. Fortunately, there were enough empty seats around to give him plenty room to play.

1. butchhuskey - Jul 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Was the “Do the Right Thing” part a pun? If so, nice job by Michael Kay

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

He had room to “Spike” the bat.

3. randygnyc - Jul 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM

It was about 15-17 years ago, my wife and I went to Madison square garden to see Roy Jones Jr fight. We were sitting ringside. My wife approached evander Holyfield who was sitting with Spike Lee, in the section to our left, for autographs. Spike answered for both of them by saying, and I quote, “WE DON’T SIGN FOR WHITE PEOPLE”.

Anyway, I got even about 3 years ago. My daughter goes to a fancy upper east side private school. I got word that Spike was trying to get his kid accepted there. I called a meeting with the Dean and relayed this exact story. Soon after, Spike’s kid’s application was rejected.

And this isn’t an isolated incident. My mother was a Hollywood make-up artist. She worked on the movie Malcom X. She was hired on a recommendation, but was never interviewed in person. She was just about the only white person on staff. Everyday, at the end of 12-15 hours of filming, she was always the last person, out of dozens and dozens of staff, to get her car service home. She said the racism on set was “institutional”.

• jayquintana - Jul 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Spike sounds like the anti-Marcus Allen. Allen, who once was one of my favorite players, only signs for white people — well, white women. Years ago, I went up to him and said, “Mr. Allen, may I please have your autograph?” I was right in front of him, he completely ignored me. A white girl behind him says, “Marcus! Marcus! Can I get your autograph?” “Sure, girl,” he says. What a phony.

4. seahawks19081 - Jul 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Randygnyc, don’t you know white people are the only ones allowed to be racist. Spike Lee is a joke and people know it. Good for you talking to the school.

5. mp4philly - Jul 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM

• kgsmith - Jul 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

“And you think depriving an innocent child the same education that your child receives is justice… Yeah. You’re a winner.:
      and teaching your kid racism is ok.. the lesson learned from the kid not being accepted is that had daddy not been a racist, kid would be in the school;.let the kid understand that if he segregates against races, then nobody wants him around.. right spike?

• professor59 - Jul 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Gosh, I sure hope that innocent child of a racist multi millionaire can still manage to get himself an education elsewhere. #FirstWorldProblems

6. kgsmith - Jul 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

7. kcredneck - Jul 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM

To bad it didn’t hit that a-hole in the head,how ya like that one!!!!!!!

8. pisano - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

A total racist little piece of shit. It’s too bad he has money, because he’d see how the real world would treat his runt ass.

9. randygnyc - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Funny thing is, my wife couldn’t care less about them, and was doing it for me. She was shocked when she got his answer.

10. plmathfoto - Jul 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Tex has been on fire lately, he just missed on this one, a little better aim next time!

11. yahmule - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

It has always amused me to see Spike’s Napolean complex and Messiah complex wage battle for the upper hand. Shameless jock sniff and a very unpleasant individual.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3207)