Jul 15, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s for real: Arizona may be moving Justin Upton.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic on Saturday that he’s spoken with the 24-year-old outfielder about the trade rumors that have been swirling and admitted that there’s some legitimacy behind them.
“I listen on everybody,” said Towers. “We’re in the information-gathering business. ‘If something gets close,’ I said, ‘you’ll be a part of the process. I’m not going to shock you with something.’ … ‘If anything, you should look at it in a good way that people like you, not just the Diamondbacks, but you’re perceived very, very well throughout baseball.'”
Upton, 24, owns a solid .276/.356/.476 career batting line through 662 major league games. He finished the 2011 season with 31 home runs, 39 doubles, 21 stolen bases, 88 RBI and a cool .898 OPS.
The D’Backs have him under contract at $6.75 million this year, $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015. They’d like to get a third baseman, a shortstop and/or starting pitching in return.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)