Jul 15, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s for real: Arizona may be moving Justin Upton.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic on Saturday that he’s spoken with the 24-year-old outfielder about the trade rumors that have been swirling and admitted that there’s some legitimacy behind them.
“I listen on everybody,” said Towers. “We’re in the information-gathering business. ‘If something gets close,’ I said, ‘you’ll be a part of the process. I’m not going to shock you with something.’ … ‘If anything, you should look at it in a good way that people like you, not just the Diamondbacks, but you’re perceived very, very well throughout baseball.'”
Upton, 24, owns a solid .276/.356/.476 career batting line through 662 major league games. He finished the 2011 season with 31 home runs, 39 doubles, 21 stolen bases, 88 RBI and a cool .898 OPS.
The D’Backs have him under contract at $6.75 million this year, $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015. They’d like to get a third baseman, a shortstop and/or starting pitching in return.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)