Jul 15, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s for real: Arizona may be moving Justin Upton.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic on Saturday that he’s spoken with the 24-year-old outfielder about the trade rumors that have been swirling and admitted that there’s some legitimacy behind them.
“I listen on everybody,” said Towers. “We’re in the information-gathering business. ‘If something gets close,’ I said, ‘you’ll be a part of the process. I’m not going to shock you with something.’ … ‘If anything, you should look at it in a good way that people like you, not just the Diamondbacks, but you’re perceived very, very well throughout baseball.'”
Upton, 24, owns a solid .276/.356/.476 career batting line through 662 major league games. He finished the 2011 season with 31 home runs, 39 doubles, 21 stolen bases, 88 RBI and a cool .898 OPS.
The D’Backs have him under contract at $6.75 million this year, $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015. They’d like to get a third baseman, a shortstop and/or starting pitching in return.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)