Jul 15, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s for real: Arizona may be moving Justin Upton.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic on Saturday that he’s spoken with the 24-year-old outfielder about the trade rumors that have been swirling and admitted that there’s some legitimacy behind them.
“I listen on everybody,” said Towers. “We’re in the information-gathering business. ‘If something gets close,’ I said, ‘you’ll be a part of the process. I’m not going to shock you with something.’ … ‘If anything, you should look at it in a good way that people like you, not just the Diamondbacks, but you’re perceived very, very well throughout baseball.'”
Upton, 24, owns a solid .276/.356/.476 career batting line through 662 major league games. He finished the 2011 season with 31 home runs, 39 doubles, 21 stolen bases, 88 RBI and a cool .898 OPS.
The D’Backs have him under contract at $6.75 million this year, $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015. They’d like to get a third baseman, a shortstop and/or starting pitching in return.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 0
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 36
- Dodgers-Marlins trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 62
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)