Jul 16, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
There were so many scouts behind the backstop at Coors Field on Sunday afternoon that you could have built a campfire and made smores.
Oh, wrong kind of scouts.
These were baseball scouts, you know, the kind with straw hats, stop watches, radar guns, and questionable wardrobes. All the relevant chapters were present: Texas, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Miami, San Francisco, the Dodgers and Angels. There were more than that, in fact.
All of the teams present make sense except for maybe the Giants who don’t need pitching as bad as hitting, but the sheer number of scouts impressed a lot of people who cover the Phillies every day, so it was clearly unusual. Not that wanting Hamels would be unusual for anyone, but still.
Biggest takeaway from this: next time you’re at the ballgame, look for the straw hats and questionable wardrobes, because Salisbury is dead on with that. I’d add “polo shirt tucked in to dockers,” but that may be included in the “questionable wardrobe” part. The radar guns are a giveaway, but they don’t all hold guns, so this is useful for scout spotting.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)