Jul 16, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Andrew Bailey has yet to pitch for the Red Sox thanks to a torn thumb ligament followed by a strained forearm, but the reliever threw a 20-pitch bullpen session yesterday without any problems.
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that Bailey is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Wednesday, at which point he could be cleared for a simulated game or perhaps even a minor-league rehab assignment.
A rehab stint would start the 30-day clock on his return ticking and Bailey guessed that he’d probably be asked to make 6-7 appearances in the minors before coming off the disabled list. Whether he’d return as the Red Sox’s closer is unclear, but either way Boston’s bullpen can certainly use the help from a pitcher who, between injuries, has posted a 2.07 ERA and 174 strikeouts in 174 career innings.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (141)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)