Jul 16, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Andrew Bailey has yet to pitch for the Red Sox thanks to a torn thumb ligament followed by a strained forearm, but the reliever threw a 20-pitch bullpen session yesterday without any problems.
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that Bailey is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Wednesday, at which point he could be cleared for a simulated game or perhaps even a minor-league rehab assignment.
A rehab stint would start the 30-day clock on his return ticking and Bailey guessed that he’d probably be asked to make 6-7 appearances in the minors before coming off the disabled list. Whether he’d return as the Red Sox’s closer is unclear, but either way Boston’s bullpen can certainly use the help from a pitcher who, between injuries, has posted a 2.07 ERA and 174 strikeouts in 174 career innings.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)