Jul 16, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Brandon Inge got released by the Tigers in late April, signed with the A’s, and suddenly starting smacking homers in bunches, leading to all sorts of fawning words being written as if the past five years hadn’t happened and he was simply back to being a productive regular at age 35.
Inge’s power surge lasted much longer than I would guessed, as he delivered four homers and 17 RBIs in his first 11 games for Oakland, but that resurgence was interrupted by a disabled list stint for a groin injury and … well, he’s been terrible ever since.
Inge returned from the DL on May 28 and has played 38 games since, hitting .212 with two homers, and a .299 slugging percentage to go with a .281 on-base percentage and ghastly 41/13 K/BB ratio. In other words, Inge has resumed hitting–or not hitting–exactly like he did from 2007 to 2011, when he batted .227 with a .308 on-base percentage and .376 slugging percentage in 671 games for the Tigers.
As the A’s climb above .500 and become surprise playoff contenders in the American League one of the easiest upgrades they could possibly make would be finding a capable third baseman to supplant Inge.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)