Jul 16, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Brandon Inge got released by the Tigers in late April, signed with the A’s, and suddenly starting smacking homers in bunches, leading to all sorts of fawning words being written as if the past five years hadn’t happened and he was simply back to being a productive regular at age 35.
Inge’s power surge lasted much longer than I would guessed, as he delivered four homers and 17 RBIs in his first 11 games for Oakland, but that resurgence was interrupted by a disabled list stint for a groin injury and … well, he’s been terrible ever since.
Inge returned from the DL on May 28 and has played 38 games since, hitting .212 with two homers, and a .299 slugging percentage to go with a .281 on-base percentage and ghastly 41/13 K/BB ratio. In other words, Inge has resumed hitting–or not hitting–exactly like he did from 2007 to 2011, when he batted .227 with a .308 on-base percentage and .376 slugging percentage in 671 games for the Tigers.
As the A’s climb above .500 and become surprise playoff contenders in the American League one of the easiest upgrades they could possibly make would be finding a capable third baseman to supplant Inge.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)