Jul 16, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Gavin Floyd won’t make his scheduled start tonight against the Red Sox because of forearm and elbow soreness, but Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago reports that an MRI exam showed no structural damage and for now at least he’ll remain on the active roster.
Dylan Axelrod will make the spot start in place of Floyd versus Boston and manager Robin Ventura admitted that letting Floyd throw 122 and 100 pitches in back-to-back starts may have led to the injury.
Floyd had turned things around following a rough first two months, allowing zero runs in three of his last four starts to reduce his overall ERA from 5.63 to to 4.54.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)