Jul 16, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
While most of us assume that the Yankees are all about the pitching at the trade deadline, Jon Heyman tells us that isn’t so:
They’ve talked to the Phillies about Shane Victorino and the Diamondbacks about Justin Upton, but Upton is a major long shot for them and right now they see the price tag as too high on either. Victorino may be slightly more realistic eventually, though.
Heyman says uncertainty about Brett Gardner is driving the desire for Victorino. It’s possible that a desire to beat the Mets out for having the most famous Hawaiian baseball player in New York history is at play too.
Curse you, Sid Fernandez! Curse you!
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)