Jul 16, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
While most of us assume that the Yankees are all about the pitching at the trade deadline, Jon Heyman tells us that isn’t so:
They’ve talked to the Phillies about Shane Victorino and the Diamondbacks about Justin Upton, but Upton is a major long shot for them and right now they see the price tag as too high on either. Victorino may be slightly more realistic eventually, though.
Heyman says uncertainty about Brett Gardner is driving the desire for Victorino. It’s possible that a desire to beat the Mets out for having the most famous Hawaiian baseball player in New York history is at play too.
Curse you, Sid Fernandez! Curse you!
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 20
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 143
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 39
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23