Heyman: the Yankees have talked to Philly about Shane Victorino

Jul 16, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies  v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

While most of us assume that the Yankees are all about the pitching at the trade deadline, Jon Heyman tells us that isn’t so:

They’ve talked to the Phillies about Shane Victorino and the Diamondbacks about Justin Upton, but Upton is a major long shot for them and right now they see the price tag as too high on either. Victorino may be slightly more realistic eventually, though.

Heyman says uncertainty about Brett Gardner is driving the desire for Victorino.  It’s possible that a desire to beat the Mets out for having the most famous Hawaiian baseball player in New York history is at play too.

Curse you, Sid Fernandez! Curse you!

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Okay Yankee fans, who would you give up for Victorino? I know nothing about the Yankees farm system outside the top few names, which are obviously not going to happen.

• sictransitchris - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Nobody.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I know some funny guy would say that. You is it your assertion, that the Yankees are better off with some combination of Nix and Ibanez in LF?

• sictransitchris - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Why should they give anything up for Victorino when they have Ibanez, Nix, Andruw Jones, Darnell McDonald and Dewayne Wise on the bench?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Because Shane Victorino is better than all of those players.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Nobody gets traded imo. I think if Shane had looked better this season he could be the one to go. But with his performance of late? No takers that would bring anything worthwhile to Philly I think.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

That would be Andruw Jones and Ibanez in left field…plus Dewayne Wise. VIctorino really isn’t hitting all that much better than any of them, so to give up a lot to get him is silly.

• djpostl - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Since he is likely to be a rental and then hit free agency I just don’t see much besides a second tier prospect going to Philly but who knows (from a smart GM anyways).

BUT teams get desperate and do some crazy things this time of year.

2. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I wouldn’t give up anything for the over rated victorino. Upton I might give up a couple of prospects for. He’d have to promise not to be lazy anymore.

3. biasedhomer - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Victorino will cost something similar to what Beltran cost last year as a rental (Zach Wheeler)

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

No way RAJ can get a prospect of the quality of Wheeler for Victorino. No way.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I’m not so sure. There’s rumblings that he had a sore wrist earlier in the season. If he shows over the next couple of weeks that he’s waking up, he’s an above average switch hitting center fielder who through much of last year was vey much playing at an all star level.

If you watched him over the years, you know he’s not a bum. He’s been blasted this year because his offensive numbers have been down and there’s not been a whole lot of good to take the attention away from him. The criticisms are fare, but the demise of the team have magnified them.

So yeah, in my opium pipe smoke induced world, I could see the Phils getting a meaningful piece for him

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Meaningful piece possibly, but the comparisons aren’t valid. Last year Beltan was hitting .289/.391/.513 for a 152 OPS+ when he was traded. Victorino has never come close to those numbers. Beltran has a longer period of success with a better peak.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

That is more or less my point.

4. proudlycanadian - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I thought that Heyman was blocking all of you from Twitter.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

My mistake. I see that the comment was posted under the title “Baseball Insider”. I wonder if that title could be construed as false advertising.

5. thatyankeedude - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Don’t go after either one, get pitching! I think the Yankees could use another starter right now cause the offense is clicking

6. sdelmonte - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Fernandez? What about Ron Darling? His career in NYC lasted longer and he’s part of the Mets broadcast team?

And how about Benny Agbayani?

7. spudatx - Jul 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

This has the potential to work out as well as that Lance Berkman deal…

8. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Victorino would just be an afterthought addition to the Yankees. He’s not even good enough to be a starter at his usual position on the Yankees. Assuming Gardner can’t come back, they intend to play jones and ibanez some in the outfield. So victorino would be an off the bench guy and might start once every 3 or 4 games. How much should the Yankees pay for that kind of rental? LMAO. Maybe a package of autographed Yankee memorabilia (I’m sure jeter could be convinced to sign some balls and photos for Amaro’s kids)

9. dkphilly1122 - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Randy you’re clueless. Victorino is better than most of the Yankees outfield and would start over everyone except Granderson. He isn’t having the best year that’s obvious, but any other year I’d put him above half the outfielders in the league. He didn’t win a Gold Glove for nothing. He’d tear the other guys apart in fielding and hitting. Ibanez is a nice bat, but can’t field for nothing. Jones is a has been. Nix is just there, barely. Swisher’s on the decline. Like I said Granderson is the only one there better than Shane. I’ll give Gardner some credit too WHEN he’s healthy.

10. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I dont want this guy or hammels, philly can keep both of them. this guy’s stats suck and hammels quits in the middle of world series, sounds like two guys that fit the phillies, not the yankees

11. anxovies - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Not a chance. Here’s the quote from Cashman, “I think we have answers at every position. I really like what we have. I think it’s going to be very difficult to improve upon that roster. I go into the Deadline very skeptical.” That seals it. Dead-certain, no-trade. Never-ever.

Orioles turn AL East on its head