Jul 16, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
The Reds entered tonight’s action one game in front of the Pirates in the National League Central, but they’ll have to get by without their best hitter for a while.
The Reds just announced that Joey Votto will undergo surgery tomorrow to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. He’s expected to miss the next three to four weeks. This confirms an earlier report by MLB Network’s Dan Plesac.
Votto initially suffered the injury on June 29 against the Giants, but he managed to avoid a stint on the disabled list and participate in the All-Star Game as scheduled. However, he evidently can’t play through the pain any longer.
Todd Frazier is filling in at first base tonight against the Diamondbacks and figures to stick there if Scott Rolen is healthy enough to play. That’s no sure thing, of course. Votto’s surgery could increase the Reds’ interest in adding a bat leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Votto, 28, is hitting .342/.465/.604 with 14 home runs, 49 RBI and a 1.069 OPS in 86 games this season. He leads the National League with 66 walks.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)