Jul 16, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
10:20 p.m. EDT update: The Jays announced after the game that no break was found in Bautista’s injured left wrist. Instead, he suffered an injury to a tendon and will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
Personally, I don’t think that qualifies as good news. If he just strained a tendon, then he could certainly return much sooner than he would have had he suffered a broken hamate bone. However, tendon and ligament problems can be a whole lot trickier than a clean break would have been.
Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista grabbed his left wrist in pain after an eighth-inning foul ball Monday and left the game against the Yankees.
YES broadcaster Paul O’Neill immediately speculated that it was a hamate bone injury, which does seem like a possibility. If he broke the hamate bone, he’d likely miss 4-6 weeks.
Bautista is tied for second in the American League with 27 homers this season. He was 0-for-2 with a walk before being replaced by Ben Francisco in right field tonight.
If Bautista lands on the DL, the Jays would call up either Eric Thames or Travis Snider to help out in the outfield. Thames has been the more productive of the two recently at Triple-A Las Vegas, hitting .351/.419/.622 in 37 at-bats this month.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)