Jul 16, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
10:20 p.m. EDT update: The Jays announced after the game that no break was found in Bautista’s injured left wrist. Instead, he suffered an injury to a tendon and will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
Personally, I don’t think that qualifies as good news. If he just strained a tendon, then he could certainly return much sooner than he would have had he suffered a broken hamate bone. However, tendon and ligament problems can be a whole lot trickier than a clean break would have been.
Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista grabbed his left wrist in pain after an eighth-inning foul ball Monday and left the game against the Yankees.
YES broadcaster Paul O’Neill immediately speculated that it was a hamate bone injury, which does seem like a possibility. If he broke the hamate bone, he’d likely miss 4-6 weeks.
Bautista is tied for second in the American League with 27 homers this season. He was 0-for-2 with a walk before being replaced by Ben Francisco in right field tonight.
If Bautista lands on the DL, the Jays would call up either Eric Thames or Travis Snider to help out in the outfield. Thames has been the more productive of the two recently at Triple-A Las Vegas, hitting .351/.419/.622 in 37 at-bats this month.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)