Jul 16, 2012, 10:24 PM EST
10:20 p.m. EDT update: The Jays announced after the game that no break was found in Bautista’s injured left wrist. Instead, he suffered an injury to a tendon and will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
Personally, I don’t think that qualifies as good news. If he just strained a tendon, then he could certainly return much sooner than he would have had he suffered a broken hamate bone. However, tendon and ligament problems can be a whole lot trickier than a clean break would have been.
Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista grabbed his left wrist in pain after an eighth-inning foul ball Monday and left the game against the Yankees.
YES broadcaster Paul O’Neill immediately speculated that it was a hamate bone injury, which does seem like a possibility. If he broke the hamate bone, he’d likely miss 4-6 weeks.
Bautista is tied for second in the American League with 27 homers this season. He was 0-for-2 with a walk before being replaced by Ben Francisco in right field tonight.
If Bautista lands on the DL, the Jays would call up either Eric Thames or Travis Snider to help out in the outfield. Thames has been the more productive of the two recently at Triple-A Las Vegas, hitting .351/.419/.622 in 37 at-bats this month.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)