Jose Bautista leaves with injury to wrist tendon

Jul 16, 2012, 10:24 PM EST

Jose Bautista

10:20 p.m. EDT update: The Jays announced after the game that no break was found in Bautista’s injured left wrist. Instead, he suffered an injury to a tendon and will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.

Personally, I don’t think that qualifies as good news. If he just strained a tendon, then he could certainly return much sooner than he would have had he suffered a broken hamate bone. However, tendon and ligament problems can be a whole lot trickier than a clean break would have been.

///

Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista grabbed his left wrist in pain after an eighth-inning foul ball Monday and left the game against the Yankees.

YES broadcaster Paul O’Neill immediately speculated that it was a hamate bone injury, which does seem like a possibility. If he broke the hamate bone, he’d likely miss 4-6 weeks.

Bautista is tied for second in the American League with 27 homers this season. He was 0-for-2 with a walk before being replaced by Ben Francisco in right field tonight.

If Bautista lands on the DL, the Jays would call up either Eric Thames or Travis Snider to help out in the outfield. Thames has been the more productive of the two recently at Triple-A Las Vegas, hitting .351/.419/.622 in 37 at-bats this month.

1. cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

he slid in hard to score on E5’s double. Banged his hand down on the dish as he did & came up wincing. Could be hamate. Its a small hooked bone in the heel of the hand and often broken with “fly swat” palm strikes.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Maybe the Rogue Chemist can pay him a visit.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Right. Shoot him full of Torradol, load him on horse growth hormone, pump some bull steroids into him AND GET HIM BACK OUT THERE!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I wouldn’t know a thing about it….unlike this one Canadian fella I know.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Just so people know, I am NOT accusing or inferring that Bautista takes PED’s. This is a running conversation between Cur and I dating back quite some time.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The one handed backend of his swing would cause the bat handle to dig into the hamate. If the hook-end on that little bone is damaged in any way (the most common damage to the hamate is to break that bit of bone off), that type of swing would hurt a lot. You’d need more than just torradol.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Cur and I dating

Go on… :)

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Jealousy an ugly emotion, COPO.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM

WHY WON”T YOU CALL ME ANYMORE!??!?!!

2. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I watched it as it happened, on the follow through of his swing. Oneill did say the Hamate bone immediately. I can’t say. I will add that Bautista was in an awful lot of pain. Huge loss for Toronto, a team ravaged with injuries, if he’s gone for any amount of time.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Agreed.

3. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Ibanez!!!!!!

4. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

For the doctors in the house, isn’t the hamate injury the one that saps a hitters power, that takes like a year plus to get back or am I thinking of something else?

Hope it isn’t, this game is a lot better when Bautista is crushing HRs, even against my Yankees.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It can be. It’s not the rule, but it does happen. The player is usually fine to play in 4-6 weeks, but the power can take much longer to return.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I was curious if it was the injury Ortiz had, but looks like he had an issue with the sheath surrounding the tendon. Seems like I’ve heard hamate injuries before though.

5. proudlycanadian - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

NO BREAK! A tendon problem. MRI tomorrow!

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Better off being a break IMO. Tendons are the very devil to heal.

• bigharold - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Look at the way Ortiz’s wrist injury took him out of his game for what amounted to a season. If fact there was a lot of people hat thought he was done. Of course Bautista is a lot younger.

Wrist injuries for guys with big swings could take some time before they are 100%. A real tough break for the Jays.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Take all the time you need Jose, your team is dead last, not going anywhere so kick back and lite up a cigar and forget about it.

jays=DEAD LAST IN THE AL EAST! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

just as predicted

• bigharold - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Stay classy Harry.

• cur68 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM

asshole

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM

drop dead

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

FOAD.

• jaysjunkie - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

One thumb up (which was probably from you) and 16 thumbs down. Why do I get the feeling that you were the weird, shitstorm-stirring kid in school who always got the hell beat out of them?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

are you kidding me? i was the monster nobody would go within 5 feet of unless i said it was ok. Today nothing has changed, i command respect and thats just how it is. Now you and your other 4 bluejay fans in this world can kiss off and enjoy their last place finish this year. And remember who predicted it…..

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM

So let me get this straight: you were a school yard bully when you were a kid and now you’ve grown into a giant asshole as an adult? This explains the “Convict” status. You never got over being an over sized idiot as a child. Never got over being a mental child, in fact.

In this case, allow me amend the “asshole” label. You are in fact a GIANT asshole with the emotional development of a child and a convict.

• kato27 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Still a wild card contender. The jays have been decimated with injuries, yet they still compete. Yes it is a huge blow, but they will bounce back from this and continue to battle like they have been…. And to Harry, in sure Jose would prefer to light up a cigar, instead of lite one. Yankee or bosox fan?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM

im what you call a bluejay hater, i dont believe baseball should be in canada and the bluejays attendence kinda backs me up on that. My wish is that they join the expos and baseball in canada will be nothing but a memory., a bad memory. Canada is about hockey and i hate that sport so let them have it, oh and pro wrestling is big there too they can also have that

7. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Uugh. According to Farrell, Bautista felt a “pop”. That ain’t good. When I tore my ACL, that’s exactly what I felt. Blue Jays have had an unfair amount of injuries this year.

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM

No. It is not good. Its the exact thing Ryan Howard reported feeling in his Achilles, too. MLB’s like a MASH Unit of injured sluggers today. Votto, Ortiz, & Bautista. I like all of those guys. In JB’s case, its fair to say he is my favourite player in MLB and has been since August 2009 when I saw something in this new swing he was using. With theses three guys gone, baseball is going to be way less interesting for me. It pretty much deals a death blow to the Beaver Men’s chances as well. *sigh*Good luck to your Yankees in the post season, Randy. I hope they all stay healthy.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I also felt a pop when I tore my MCL and PCL. The good news? Mine was a partial tear of both and needed no surgery. Not so good news? It takes just as long maybe longer to heal than a full tear surgically repaired. look at Puma. Back already.

8. randygnyc - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Thanks Cur- maybe it’s not serious, but I trust my own eyes, and it didn’t look good. The bright side is that you’ll have a pretty darn good squad next year, although that’s hardly consolation for the here and now.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5072)
  2. M. Kemp (2997)
  3. J. Kang (2876)
  4. J. Upton (2838)
  5. C. McGehee (2796)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2767)
  2. J. Peavy (2028)