Jul 16, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
10:20 p.m. EDT update: The Jays announced after the game that no break was found in Bautista’s injured left wrist. Instead, he suffered an injury to a tendon and will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
Personally, I don’t think that qualifies as good news. If he just strained a tendon, then he could certainly return much sooner than he would have had he suffered a broken hamate bone. However, tendon and ligament problems can be a whole lot trickier than a clean break would have been.
Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista grabbed his left wrist in pain after an eighth-inning foul ball Monday and left the game against the Yankees.
YES broadcaster Paul O’Neill immediately speculated that it was a hamate bone injury, which does seem like a possibility. If he broke the hamate bone, he’d likely miss 4-6 weeks.
Bautista is tied for second in the American League with 27 homers this season. He was 0-for-2 with a walk before being replaced by Ben Francisco in right field tonight.
If Bautista lands on the DL, the Jays would call up either Eric Thames or Travis Snider to help out in the outfield. Thames has been the more productive of the two recently at Triple-A Las Vegas, hitting .351/.419/.622 in 37 at-bats this month.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)