Mariano Rivera is aiming to pitch in September

Jul 16, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT

Mariano Rivera Reuters

Even though the blood clot in his leg delayed his ACL surgery, Mariano Rivera is still hoping he can make it back in time to pitch for the Yankees during the final month of the season.

“That’s my goal,” Rivera said on Michael Kay’s radio show Monday. “Definitely, that’s my goal. I’m not thinking about it because if it doesn’t happen, I will be disappointed. So I’m taking it day by day. I’m working hard and doing what I’m supposed to do. I don’t want to put something in my mind.”

Rivera, who was injured May 3, only underwent surgery for the torn ligament on June 12, which seemed to rule out any chance of a return this year. His rehab is going well, though, and Rivera thinks he could make it back around the three-month mark. If anyone can pull off that kind of recovery at age 42, it’s Mariano.

1. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I’ve said it many times on here that this was a possibility. Fingers crossed!!!!!!

2. spudatx - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM

If Mariano made it back this year, I wonder if there is any scenario where he retires after the 2012 season. Or, will he still be mowing batters down in 2022?

• bigharold - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM

The thing of it is, according to Michael Kay, his time away from the team has shown him what he’ll miss once he calls it quits. I got the impression that whether he returns this year or not he won;t be in a hurry to retire.

3. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

He said he’s pitching next year, regardless of when he makes his return. I have to believe that until he says differently.

4. hittfamily - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Does he come back as a middle reliever or what? Soriano has been lights out, and Robertson is the best setup man in baseball.

5. thatyankeedude - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Dude is a monster! Good luck Mo we look forward to having 2 lights out closers

6. romoscollarbone - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Mo and Sori would be dual closers/8 th bc Joe wouldn’t have the guts to leave Soriano untucking his shirt nightly.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

would love to have this guy back

8. klink6224 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Whatever he does and however it plays out the only thing I wish is that he doesn’t get touched up and his numbers get skewed. I know for the long run it will mean nothing to his legacy but he is one of those players that you want to have the absolute best with. Don’t want to see the “held on too long” numbers of futility.

• bigharold - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM

His career numbers are so good that he’d have to stick around and have a couple of poor years before his numbers get screwed up.

9. dman6015 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM

They seem to be doing OK without him so far. Although he would be a welcome addition come playoff time.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3850)