Ozzie Guillen says Bryce Harper ‘might not make it’

Jul 16, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

Ozzie Guillen isn’t over being disrepected by Bryce Harper during Sunday’s game. Not even close.

CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman has the quotes from Guillen’s rant prior to Monday’s game.

“I like this kid,” Guillen said. “I think this kid is good for baseball. He’s going to be better. But if this kid continues to do that ****, he might not make it. Because they’re going to fool around with the wrong guy, and that wrong guy will kick his ass. He might not make it.”

As for that wrong guy, well, it won’t be Guillen. Referring to how Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Guillen was trying to intimidate Harper during Sunday’s game, Guillen said:

I wish this happened two years ago. Then I would’ve told Davey what I feel. And I would’ve told this kid what I feel. Intimidate? Pfft. I never intimidate people. For what? Do I look like I intimidate anybody? I swear, if we fight, that kid will kick my ass. You think I’m going to intimidate him?

No, probably not.

Guillen said the Marlins have no plans to retaliate for Sunday’s incident, which boiled down to Guillen complaining about the pine tar on Harper’s bat, Harper pointing his clean bat towards the Marlins dugout after making a switch and Guillen dropping some f-bombs on the kid.

“He showed me up,” Guillen said. “I never showed him up. Not one thing about it.”

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I usually don’t brag after I lose a fight in embarrassing fashion. Way to go Ozzie

• JustMeMike - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Ozzie is the Mouse That Roared or if you like – The Mouth That Roared – la boca que rugió.

He just playing the role that was established in baseball years and years ago – Casey Stengel, Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Leo Durocher – all small men who mad up for their lack of size by having the ultimate weapon in the battle of words – the smart mouth.

If no nothing else we can admire Ozzie for being a comical crazy character. He sure give us plenty to chat about.

• 1historian - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM

“the ultimate weapon in the battle of words – the smart mouth.”

I’m sure there are many adjectives that would apply to Ozzie’s mouth, but IMO ‘smart’ is not one of them.

• JustMeMike - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

historian –

smart mouth doesn’t necessarily indicate intelligence. What it is intended to mean is smart, like smart ass – just like wiseguy and wiseman are not the same.

2. baseballisboring - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Yeah, and Ozzie might not make it past this year with Miami…

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

One can hope.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Why do people care what Ozzie says?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM

He’s always good for a laugh.

4. dkphilly1122 - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Harper 1, Ozzie 0. As a Phillie’s fan I gotta give Harper a tonnnnnnn of credit for being mature thru out the whole year so far. He’s 19 and showing older players how to be a man. Good job kid.

5. seanb20124 - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Game has passed you by Mr. Che Guevara.

6. ravenseattheirownpoop - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I love Ozzie. Right or wrong, he let’s u know how he feels!

• 1historian - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Good point but there an awful lot of us out here who couldn’t care less how he feels.

• theutilityman - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

But we do care enough to read about it…and comment on it…multiple times…

7. Panda Claus - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

“I never showed him up”. Wha-wha-what?!

Yelling at him from the dugout and making a public embarrassment of yourself, what exactly is that? Maybe he should’ve dealt with the umpire or filed a protest during the game instead. Follow the rules and processes in place instead of mocking Harper the entire game.

Simple fact is that Ozzie tried to get inside the heads of Harper and the Nats–but failed.

8. DonRSD - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Viva Ozzie!!!

9. delawarephilliesfan - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Thumbs me down all you want….but who frickin cares about either of those idiots??

Harper has been in the big’s for 5 minutes, so lets not go over board with “wow he shows restraint”. The numbskull leads the league in self induced stitches, ya know.

And ozzie?….Again, who cares!

• braddavery - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM

If you don’t care, why did you click the article and then decide to post.

• delawarephilliesfan - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Touche ;)

10. stex52 - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I had really decided I wasn’t going to get so annoyed by old Ozzie this year. I even felt a little sorry for him after the Castro thing. But the man is a tireless narcissist. He will just die if he isn’t constantly in the spotlight. He needs to go away.

11. addictedzone - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The game may not have passed Ozzie by just yet.

Harper is only 1 for 14 against the Marlins in this series and 0 for his last 13 through the 5th inning tonight. I’m a Harper fan, but so far in this series he’s been shutdown.

12. chill1184 - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The Marlins hired a real winner with this guy

13. hammyofdoom - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Ya know, even for ozzie this is pretty lame.

14. Kave Krew - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Ozzie is a professional ozzhole

15. tuftsb - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Ozzie’s role model:

16. drewsylvania - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

The way his mouth is running, Ozzie will have plenty of people lining up to kick HIS ass.

17. onbucky96 - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Ozzie being Ozzie. Maybe he needs another Ambien?

18. raider2124 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Gillian is a blowhard. He hit 220 if that. Plus he’s a liberal from Chicago which means Marxist. Take you Castro take your Chavez and stay there.

• sabatimus - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Guillen’s right: Harper won’t make it….as President of Cuba.

19. vallewho - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Ozzie is a Castro loving clown, bro.

20. addictedzone - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Nats and Marlins split the four game series.

Harper begins with a hit, ends with a hit, and goes 0 for 14 in the middle.

21. razorbyrd - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Where the hell does Guillen get off calling anybody out?! That guy is the biggest D-Bag in all of baseball…

22. jon623 - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Wow, what a shock… Ozzie being a ridiculous, loud mouthed buffoon? Never saw this coming. This neolithic putz needs to try focusing on something other than drawing ugly attention to hmself…. like maybe focusing on, you know, baseball.

• theutilityman - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Maybe he’s just looking for any opportunity he can get to take the heat off of his underachieving offense and terrible bullpen.Sometimes I think Ozzie is smarter than we give him credit for.

23. fuddpucker - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Man, Ozzie can’t even fit in in Miami. I love the guy but I don’t think he should be managing. He’d be great with young prospects and I hope he doesn’t disappear after he gets fired.

• theutilityman - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think the Sean Tracey incident is a good example of what you could expect if Ozzie were to be put in charge of prospect development. Now, if he wanted to change careers, he would make an excellent professional wrestling manager.

24. crash1582 - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I’m sorry… what place are the Marlins in….

25. charlutes - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Ozzie comes off as crazy on this one.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3938)