Jul 16, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com is reporting that the Dodgers have “some interest” in shortstop Jimmy Rollins. It’s not clear whether the Phillies are seriously considering parting with their longest-tenured player, but Knobler notes that the club has been “disappointed by his play this year” and thought he “could have done more” to guide them while Ryan Howard and Chase Utley were sidelined.
It’s probably a far-fetched possibility, but Rollins would represent an upgrade for the Dodgers, who have combined to hit just .227/.284/.302 from of the shortstop position this season. Dee Gordon is responsible for most of that and is expected to be sidelined until mid-August following surgery earlier this month to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right thumb.
In the first year of a three-year, $33 million contract, Rollins is hitting .261/.315/.414 with eight home runs, 33 RBI, 14 stolen bases and a .729 OPS in 87 games. His contract includes an $11 million vesting option for 2015. Even if the Phillies find a taker, Rollins has 10-and-5 rights and can control his own destiny. The 33-year-old is a California native.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)