Jul 16, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The initial significance of the news that the Red Sox are going to designate Brent Lillibridge for assignment: that makes room for Carl Crawford on the 40-man roster.
The larger significance: it means that the Red Sox effectively traded Kevin Youkilis for a 25 year-old minor league pitcher in Zach Stewart.
Makes me wonder why no other teams were able to match the offer the White Sox made Boston for Youk. Teams that, presumably, are going to be trying to make trades for bats over the next two weeks.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)