Jul 16, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The initial significance of the news that the Red Sox are going to designate Brent Lillibridge for assignment: that makes room for Carl Crawford on the 40-man roster.
The larger significance: it means that the Red Sox effectively traded Kevin Youkilis for a 25 year-old minor league pitcher in Zach Stewart.
Makes me wonder why no other teams were able to match the offer the White Sox made Boston for Youk. Teams that, presumably, are going to be trying to make trades for bats over the next two weeks.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)