Jul 16, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The initial significance of the news that the Red Sox are going to designate Brent Lillibridge for assignment: that makes room for Carl Crawford on the 40-man roster.
The larger significance: it means that the Red Sox effectively traded Kevin Youkilis for a 25 year-old minor league pitcher in Zach Stewart.
Makes me wonder why no other teams were able to match the offer the White Sox made Boston for Youk. Teams that, presumably, are going to be trying to make trades for bats over the next two weeks.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)