Jul 16, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The initial significance of the news that the Red Sox are going to designate Brent Lillibridge for assignment: that makes room for Carl Crawford on the 40-man roster.
The larger significance: it means that the Red Sox effectively traded Kevin Youkilis for a 25 year-old minor league pitcher in Zach Stewart.
Makes me wonder why no other teams were able to match the offer the White Sox made Boston for Youk. Teams that, presumably, are going to be trying to make trades for bats over the next two weeks.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)