The White Sox are reportedly interested in Zack Greinke

Jul 16, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Zack Greinke Getty Images

Jon Heyman says that according to “sources” — god, I love mid-to-late July! — the White Sox are interested in Zack Greinke.

No word on how serious it is or what they’d offer, but Greinke would certainly help them out. ┬áThe Sox’ rotation looks good at first blush with Chris Sale, Jack Peavy and Jose Quintana appearing to be a solid 1-2-3 punch. But as we’ve noted several times, Sale is already way past his career-high in innings pitched and Peavy is something of an injury risk. If one of those two go or if Quintana falters, there is trouble, as the back end of the rotation has not been anything special.

Not that this makes the White Sox’ need greater than anyone else’s. Most contenders could use an arm and any team, no matter how strong the rotation, could be improved by the addition of Zack Greinke. Assuming, of course, his little pushback in the rotation isn’t a harbinger of bad things.

1. bloodysock - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

The White Sox system is pretty barren and even more so for what you’d have to give up to get Greinke.

• kkolchak - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM

All the more reason to do the trade. The Sox have a aging team and are not going to be able to quickly reload. They need to try and win now while they are in position to do so.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I don’t know that the White Sox can offer enough value to be worth more than the two draft picks Milwaukee will get if they hold onto Greinke all season.

• bloodysock - Jul 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM

it doesn’t work like that anymore under the new CBA. If a player is traded in the final year of his contract, the player’s new team is ineligible to receive any draft pick compensation.

• baseballisboring - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM

They are winning now, though, and it’s a very winnable division. I think given what was expected of the White Sox before the season, them winning the division and making it to the playoffs would be a pretty huge success. But I think they either need to go with what they have or aim a little lower, cause they’ve had one of the worst farm systems in baseball for a few years. I think trading for Greinke would set them back too much, if they even have the chips to get him in the first place.

They do have a decent core, though. I think if they shipped off a few veterans for some MLB ready talent (not talking Bryce Harper or anything) and can draft well the next couple years, I think they have enough to avoid a complete rebuild.

• brewcitybummer - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Bloodsock, that’s the point Lukehart was making. If the Brewers trade Greinke they lose the two compensation picks they would have otherwise gotten but the other team doesn’t pick them up. It makes all of these types of deals less likely to happen. The buyer AND the seller get less in the deal.

Can someone tell me why MLB wanted this?

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

“Jack” Peavy ? I know he isn’t Mr. Elite top pitcher right now but jeez even rookies get their names correct. ;>P He’s been very very good this season imo. He’s pitched more innings this season than he has since 09 so I don’t expect it to last much longer, but he’s been good..

3. redguy12588 - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM

If I were in the white sox farm system, I’d be a top 5 prospect. I’m a dorky engineer.

4. 18thstreet - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I like the headline.

I wonder if the White Sox passed Greinke a note during study hall. I wonder if they like him-like him, or just like him.

5. joshfrancis50 - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Effin Quintana….that creep can roll, man.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto