And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jul 17, 2012, 6:07 AM EDT

Baltimore Orioles starting pitcher Chris Tillman wipes sweat from his forehead during the first inning of the Orioles' MLB baseball game against the Minnesota Twins at Target Field in Minneapolis

Twins 19, Orioles 7: This was a multifaceted butt-whupping, but it got started with Chris Tillman’s butt. Which is a shame considering that five short months ago he was in the Best Shape of His Life. All of those runs for the Twins despite hitting only one homer. It was a Gashouse Gorillas-style conga line around the base paths. I wish Ron Gardehire had kept Anthony Swarzak in the game for a third inning of relief, however, because this game really needed a save.

Red Sox 5, White Sox 1: Did you know that Kevin Youkilis was the first player who was ever traded by a team to then face his old team in a baseball game?  It’s true! At least if you read the stuff in the Boston papers over the past couple of days. Youk was good enough — he went 3 for 4 — but Adrian Gonzalez drove in four, including a three-run homer. Aaron Cook allowed zero earned runs over seven innings.

Marlins 5, Nationals 3: Well, we missed out on any Ozzie Guillen-Bryce Harper fights, so it sort of feels like a letdown. But Hanley Ramirez hit a two-run homer and Carlos Lee drove in two.

Indians 3, Rays 2: 11 pitchers were used in a nine inning game. A ball that was initially called a homer was changed to a double after a replay review revealed the initial call to be incorrect. If Bud Selig had his way the latter would never happen because it screws up the pace of the game. Sometimes you just have to laugh so you don’t cry.

Diamondbacks 5, Reds 3: The Reds announce that Joey Votto is going to have surgery and then they go out and find themselves down 4-0 in the first inning, effectively ending things before they start.  There have been better nights in Cincinnati.

Mariners 9, Royals 4: Gonna go out on a limb and say that the Royals did not win the Jonathan Sanchez-Melky Cabrera trade. Sanchez: 1.1 IP, 7 H, 7 R. His ERA balloons to 7.76. Casper Wells drove in five with a three-run homer and a two-run triple.

Yankees 6, Blues Jays 3: Raul Ibanez hit a grand slam, but that was the least of the Blue Jays worries last night, as they lost Jose Bautista for what will likely be an extended period. Tendon problems on power hitters = potential ugliness.

Tigers 8, Angels 6: Quintin Berry had three hits, two stolen bases and scored twice. Brennan Boesch had a two-run homer. Detroit has won 11 of 15 and are now two and a half behind the White Sox. I called them a sleeping giant before the All-Star break. The giant stirs.

Cardinals 3, Brewers 2: A nice duel between Lance Lynn and Mike Fiers, but neither figured in the decision thanks to Jonathan Axford giving up three runs on three hits and two walks while blowing a 2-0 lead in the ninth.

Phillies 3, Dodgers 2: Ryan Howard hit his first homer and, in doing so, picked up his first RBI of 2012. And tonight: Roy Halladay comes back. Slowly but surely the Phillies are becoming the Phillies again. But I strongly suspect it’s too late.

Astros 2, Padres 0: The Astros vs. the Padres had an official attendance of 26,000+. I assume the promotion was “free money night” or something.  Houston finally wins one on the road.

Rockies 5, Pirates 4: This one went into a rain delay in the top of the ninth with the Rockies up by three. I was tempted, before I went to sleep, to simply write it up, figuring that it was over. Then I thought “eh, Coors Field, anything can happen.” Wise choice, as the Pirates tied it up after the grounds crew dried it up when Pedro Alvarez hit a three-run bomb. Dexter Fowler won it on a sac fly in the bottom of the ninth. I wonder how many actually stuck around for that.

1. scratchnsniffnblog - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Check your O’s-Twins boxscore again.

• card0109 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Is anybody else tired of seeing Capps give up home runs in the 9th? I’m glad we had the extra 10 runs as insurance, but man…

• semnsportsfan - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Yessir…but that’s just par-for-the-course for Capps since he came to the Twins.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Regarding Bautista, all I can say is ouch. Lind will have to make up the power loss. Lind has hit quite well since his return to the majors. Anthony Gose is about to make his major league debut. He is one of the fastest runners in baseball. He will give the Jays doubles, triples and stolen bases. In a spring training game, he walked and then stole second, third and home in succession. He is very good in the field. An outfield of Davis, Gose and Rasmus will cover a lot of ground. With Davis and Gose, expect the Jays to be running a lot.

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Our boys will need a miracle, PC. This could be the season for them, right here. As you are aware, Bautista was more than our slugger. He was the boss of that outfield, the mentor for all the young hitters and E5’s co-joined twin. All those RBIs are not going to happen. The homers, ditto. The encouragement and leadership in the dugout and on the field don’t show up in the stats but they were obvious to anyone who watched that team. Bautista lead from the front and it was a LONG way to the front, too. The Blue Jays just lost their best hitter, best defender and probably the best ball player I have ever seen. Every crappy thing that could have happened to a ballplayer has happened to that guy and he’d emerged as a superstar once someone gave him a chance. I think its fair to say that the other players saw in him what they could become if they worked hard enough. They fed off that energy and drew inspiration from it.

But its even worse than what it might mean to the team. There’s the nature of the injury. A tendon was about the last thing I wanted. When Paul O’Neil called hamate bone, I sure wanted him to be right. Bones heal, often completely and often without surgery. However it seems that it is very likely that one of Bautista’s flexor tendons have let go. This is the arm equivalent of the Achilles Tendon letting go, a la Ryan Howard. No one bounces back from that in 6 to 8 weeks. Given the nature of Bautsita’s super hard swing and one handed follow through, it is very that is the last time we’ll seen him swing like that.

I don’t get depressed over baseball game scores. But its fair to say, with Bautista’s injury, given Votto & Ortiz too, that I’m not going to like baseball as much as I used to. That’s the cream of baseball hitting down all in one day. That’s depressing.

3. jtchernak - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I have a lot of confidence that the phillies can come back but I’m probaly thinking too positive

4. darthicarus - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Watching the Tigers game last night I actually felt they would pull out the win. A month or so ago…or even just a few weeks ago, I would’ve figured they would’ve been done once they were down 2 runs. Something has changed with this team and it seems visible with everyone on the team. Should be a fun stretch with White Sox/Tigers match-ups coming here soon.

5. cshearing - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM

@proudly: Gose has been up before. But you knew that, you just got confused. :-)

• proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Sorry to disagree, but Gose is not even on the 40 man roster. Someone (probably Chavez) has to be removed from the roster to make room for him.

• yarguy - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

You must be thinking of Gomes. As usually, proudly has it right, Gose has not seen a major league dressing room, except maybe as a guest.

6. groundruledoublebourbon - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Spot on analysis of Dayton Moore’s offseason blockbuster. Those west coast games are on late, but I hear Melky is hitting like .800 and also recently discovered the God particle. Meanwhile, Sancho continues to defecate the bed for KC.

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Sorry, stick-up-my-ass interruption here. Don’t call it the God particle. It’s incredibly misleading, and something the physics community has never intended it to be referred to as. A physicist wrote a book about it decades ago that he wanted to call The Goddamn Particle, and editors changed it because they felt that would be too offensive. The misconception from that misnomer has led people to think that it was evidence of a deity (seriously), when in reality the existence of Higgs-Boson and the existence of god are completely independent of each other.

/soapbox

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Kev, Kev, Kev…Kev. Don’t interrupt a perfectly good narrative with your facts, man. It’ll be Children Of The Corn time round here if you keep THAT up.

7. uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Cashman given the option of signing Damon or Godzilla at the beginning of the season or opting for the FA Ibanez chose wisely. He chose Ibanez, enough said.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

You’re Welcome.

8. tmohr - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

“The giant stirs”

Who knew Craig was a Mastodon fan?

9. azvikefan - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

The thing that really shocked me about the D-backs-Reds game is the D-backs didn’t choke after the 4 run 1st.

10. karaterobot - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Craig, thanks for making me feel old. I recognized the “Gashouse Gorillas” reference was immediately, and it reminded me of something. The other day, my wife and I (she’s 24, I’m 28) were hanging out with her little sister (13) who was up for a visit. One of us made a Yosemite Sam reference, and my sister-in-law had no idea who that was. Astonished, we asked her about Looney Tunes. She had never seen it. That’s right, she has never seen Saturday morning Looney Tunes; at 13, she is too young.

Sigh.

Anyway, go Twins.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Craig, thanks for making me feel old…I’m 28

Whaaaa?

As to your comment, my wife and I had a few months back. She had her 17 year old cousin over, and for some reason my dog was barking his head off. So I asked him “what’s wrong buddy, did Timmy fall down the well again?” Wife and I start laughing, cousin has no clue what we’re talking about. Getting older sucks, or this:

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3260)