Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
Initial tests on Jose Bautista‘s wrist injury showed nothing broken, but the Blue Jays have placed the slugger on the disabled list with what they’re officially calling wrist inflammation.
No word yet on his potential return timetable, as he’s expected to undergo further testing to rule out anything more serious.
In the meantime the Blue Jays have called up top prospect Anthony Gose, an incredibly fast 21-year-old center fielder who was acquired from the Astros (via the Phillies in the Roy Oswalt trade) for Brett Wallace in mid-2010.
Gose obviously can’t replace Bautista’s production offensively, but he was hitting .292 with a .375 on-base percentage and 29 steals in 92 games at Triple-A. He draw walks, has gap power, runs like crazy, and can track down everything in the outfield.
As for Bautista, he heads to the DL with the AL’s second-most homers, second-most walks, and third-most RBIs, and had been on fire following a slow start with a 1.021 OPS in 58 games since mid-May.
UPDATE: Structural damage has been ruled out and Bautista said he’s hoping to come off the DL after the minimum 15 days.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)