Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
Initial tests on Jose Bautista‘s wrist injury showed nothing broken, but the Blue Jays have placed the slugger on the disabled list with what they’re officially calling wrist inflammation.
No word yet on his potential return timetable, as he’s expected to undergo further testing to rule out anything more serious.
In the meantime the Blue Jays have called up top prospect Anthony Gose, an incredibly fast 21-year-old center fielder who was acquired from the Astros (via the Phillies in the Roy Oswalt trade) for Brett Wallace in mid-2010.
Gose obviously can’t replace Bautista’s production offensively, but he was hitting .292 with a .375 on-base percentage and 29 steals in 92 games at Triple-A. He draw walks, has gap power, runs like crazy, and can track down everything in the outfield.
As for Bautista, he heads to the DL with the AL’s second-most homers, second-most walks, and third-most RBIs, and had been on fire following a slow start with a 1.021 OPS in 58 games since mid-May.
UPDATE: Structural damage has been ruled out and Bautista said he’s hoping to come off the DL after the minimum 15 days.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 26
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 149
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (150)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (71)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)