Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Initial tests on Jose Bautista‘s wrist injury showed nothing broken, but the Blue Jays have placed the slugger on the disabled list with what they’re officially calling wrist inflammation.
No word yet on his potential return timetable, as he’s expected to undergo further testing to rule out anything more serious.
In the meantime the Blue Jays have called up top prospect Anthony Gose, an incredibly fast 21-year-old center fielder who was acquired from the Astros (via the Phillies in the Roy Oswalt trade) for Brett Wallace in mid-2010.
Gose obviously can’t replace Bautista’s production offensively, but he was hitting .292 with a .375 on-base percentage and 29 steals in 92 games at Triple-A. He draw walks, has gap power, runs like crazy, and can track down everything in the outfield.
As for Bautista, he heads to the DL with the AL’s second-most homers, second-most walks, and third-most RBIs, and had been on fire following a slow start with a 1.021 OPS in 58 games since mid-May.
UPDATE: Structural damage has been ruled out and Bautista said he’s hoping to come off the DL after the minimum 15 days.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)