Jul 17, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
Those who believe Bobby Parnell just doesn’t have the mentality to close have gained a little more ammunition over the last week.
Parnell blew his second save in four days, and Pedro Beato threw a wild pitch to score the winning run in the 10th as the Mets lost to the Nationals 5-4 on Tuesday.
Parnell is now 2-for-4 in save opportunities since replacing the injured Frank Francisco in the closer’s role. He hasn’t really fallen apart in either blown save; the Nationals, like the Braves before them on Saturday, simply managed to string together three singles and score a run off him tonight. Still, that can’t make manager Terry Collins feel much better about things.
After Parnell lost a one-run lead in the ninth, the Mets went back ahead in the top of the 10th on a Josh Thole double. However, Tim Byrdak and Beato combined to blow it from there. A Bryce Harper triple tied the game, and Beato’s wild pitch ended it.
With Parnell looking like a better option in the eighth than the ninth, the Mets could go to a closer-by-committee until Francisco returns. However, they’re short of quality alternatives, and one guy Collins does seem to have faith in for a late-inning role, Miguel Batista, is about to move into the rotation in place of Dillon Gee.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)