Jul 17, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
Back from the disabled list, CC Sabathia didn’t look like he missed a beat. Then again, the Yankees hardly missed one while he was gone.
Sabathia pitched scoreless ball into the seventh inning as the Yankees beat the Blue Jays 6-1 on Tuesday.
The AL East-leading Yankees went 12-6 while their ace was sidelined due to a groin strain.
Sabathia was sharp tonight even though he didn’t have the benefit of a rehab start. 66 of his 87 pitches were strikes. It couldn’t have hurt that Jose Bautista was nowhere to be found in the middle of the Toronto lineup. Bautista, though, is just 1-for-19 lifetime against Sabathia anyway.
With the victory, Sabathia improved to 10-3 on the season. His ERA is down to 3.27.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)