“Chavez Ravine might have the worst beer selection in the bigs”

Jul 17, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT

generic beer

A couple of weeks ago I linked a guide to craft beer selection in the various ballparks that, many have said, was incomplete. To that end, I’m on the lookout for true, in-depth beer reviews of ballparks. If you have one — recent ones — or if you care to do a comprehensive one, by all means do and I’ll link and/or excerpt it, because this is news we can use.

My friend Eno Sarris of FanGraphs (and a million other sites) knows his beer. And he went to Dodger Stadium recently and reviewed the selection. His review is up over at FanGraphs. And I gotta tell ya, the selection in L.A. is lacking:

If you are looking to alter your experience through the use of a society-approved liquid drug, then the stadium is ready to provide. Their prices and sizes are very pocket-friendly: you can get a 24-ounce ‘tall boy’ domestic draft beer for $10.25, which is better value than most stadiums provide. These are large beers for a good price.

If your aim is to drink the best-tasting beer that you might want to drink while facing the pitch, well then Chavez Ravine might have the worst beer selection in the bigs.

Mostly because it’s all gussied-up macrobrew:

To recap: so far we have a choice between Budweiser, Hefe Budweiser, Korean Budweiser Dutch Budweiser and Mexican Budweiser. In a simpler time, that might suffice.

Today, there are too many craft beer aficionados to assuage with this selection. Of course, there are a few craft beers if you looked hard enough, but the reward didn’t quite match the effort.

My personal thing: I really don’t like Bud or Miller Lites, but I’ll drink a Bud Heavy or a High Life if that’s all that’s available. It’s wet. It’s beer. I am not one of those people who MUST HAVE CRAFT BEER.  I can deal just fine with whatever you got.

But really, how hard is it to set up a couple of places with some top-end stuff for those who really appreciate it? Seems like a no-brainer.  Serious beer snobs — and I use that term lovingly — will pay through the nose for their hops.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Baseball! Sun! Hot Dogs! Ice Cream! Beer! Craft beer is a tad down on my list.

2. JB (the original) - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

“page not found”

3. sportfan23 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Bud Heavy or as they are better known….BL Nums

• kopy - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Well, Bud Heavy is regular Budweiser, and BL Nums are Bud Light Platinums.

…but whatever gets you feelin’ loose and conversational.

4. shanabartels - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

It would be great if someone made a comprehensive beer guide that specified the exact location within the stadium where it’s available. I know that’s a lot of work, but a stadium is a huge building and specifying the location makes the guide infinitely more user-friendly. If you tell me a certain desirable beer exists somewhere at Yankee Stadium but you don’t tell me where it is… I guess I’m just not a big fan of treasure hunts and wild goose chases.

• kopy - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM

But it’s not a lot of work. I pulled this up on my phone last night when I was at the Twins game. http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/taste_of_twins_territory/concessions_locations.jsp

I don’t know if other MLB teams have a list on their website, but they damn well should.

• davidpom50 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM

That page shows one local craft beer stand and then “domestic and premium – various locations throughout stadium.” Don’t know if that local craft beer is the only available, but if not, it doesn’t seem that helpful. What are the premium beers?

• shanabartels - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

It varies from one stadium to another. That one has much more helpful specific menu listings than a lot of other stadiums have, which is great for someone like me who likes to know where vegetarian options are, or my cousin who likes to know where gluten-free options are. A lot of stadium guides just list “imported beer” and “sandwiches” and that’s not terribly helpful.

• lazlosother - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

To be accompanied by the exact location of the rest rooms.

• shanabartels - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM

That’s fairly easy to look up if you use the MLB At the Ballpark app. But yeah, that is a useful thing to know.

5. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

At Safeco the beer vendor will come to your seat and sell you an ice-cold Elysia “The Immortal” IPA for $11. Which is great, because I hate to leave my seat and potentially miss watching a ground-out, pop-out, or swinging K.

• davidpom50 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I wish Dodger Stadium had roving vendors to bring beer to my seat, but I think that’s illegal in California. Haven’t seen it at any baseball or football stadium.

• thrstr - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM

pretty sad cali, wtf?

• jon623 - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM

You forgot caught stealing, a 6-4-3, and a backwards K… other than that, damn good summation.

6. boiler90 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Try this one…

7. rollinghighwayblues - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I think I am the only person not to enjoy craft beers. Most I have had just don’t cut it with me, too much frills and not what I am wanting in a beer. I don’t mind the macros and occasionally I’ll go with the bottom shelf stuff to feel extra working class. But I am also a person who prefers my beer out of a can, so what do I know?

• kopy - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM

You’re not alone at all. There’s a reason why macros are macros, and microbrews collectively have a much smaller share of the American beer market.

• iclight79 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:18 AM

That’s not necessarily true. Microbreweries like Sam Adams and Dogfish Head, to name a few of many, make a choice to stay classified as such despite heavy demand.

• davidpom50 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

You’re not alone at all. Craft beer people are just more vocal about their beer than other beer drinkers.

8. Jonny 5 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM

They should allow BYOB if that’s their selection.

9. willsolo - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The reason Dodger Stadium has the worst craft beer selection is because they are catering to their demographic. Cholos and average joes. Do you think “LiL PuPPeT” from East LA knows anything about Stone, Lagunitas, or any other company besides Miller and Bud? Highly doubt it.

• vikesfansteve - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Wow, glad to see you took time out of the klan meeting to write that post.

Don’t forget that Dodger dogs taste like shit so you need some bud to wash it down.

• thrstr - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM

wow, klan meeting?? better get back to CNN or huffing and puffington in case you miss some talking points.

• willsolo - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’m hispanic and I grew up in LA, going to Dodger Stadium. So no, I didn’t take the time out from my Klan meeting. I actually just finished meeting with my probation officer.

10. hojo20 - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Be a man and drink a Bud.

11. Dan the Mets Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

This does not sound right – I’m pretty sure I’ve had a decent beer there. Maybe not beer snob good but better than the options listed. It could be there are different options at different spot. That said, Dodgers Stadium really is a dump and the concessions are overall not fancy or particularly interesting. Also, L.A. is not generally a very good beer town, so craft beer tends to be in short supply, though that is rapidly changing. It’s much better than in 2005 when I moved here and it was difficult to actually find beer on tap in my neighborhood.

12. 4d3fect - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I thought it was well-known how lousy the beer selection is–and always has been– @ DS. Didn’t know it even ranked as news (nothing personal Craig).

Just another in a long list of reasons not to go there.

13. untamedride - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM

i can proudly say my local AAA team has a better craft beer selection. A couple local brews to choose from as well as the big name stuff.

14. archarya - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Citizens bank park in philly has a fairly decent selection of craft beer. They are located like every couple hundred feet on the main level and each one usually has something different than the next. I found this updated pdf with what they have atm.

15. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM

What is wrong with Bud Light? Aside from the obvious cheap light beer thing, It’s wet and it is beer, too. On a hot day it is refreshing. I’ll tell you what is not refreshing on a hot day: the bottom 1/3rd of your Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA that waited in the sun for you to finish your Schmitter and crab fries.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3617)