David Ortiz: “I’m in a lot of pain”

Jul 17, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox  v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

It doesn’t sound like David Ortiz is doing so well. The Red Sox’ DH hurt himself last night and had his MRI today, but it sounds pretty ugly:

“They already did the MRI, and the doctors will give me the results this afternoon,” Ortiz told Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportesLosAngeles.com. “I don’t have anything broken, but I’m in a lot of pain, and the heel is swollen.”

This is what happens when we let designated hitters run the bases.  Please, think of the designated hitters and let pitchers bat.

The Red Sox have weathered a lot of injuries. But he’s one guy they simply can’t afford to lose for an extended period. It sounds fairly unlikely, however, that he’ll avoid a DL stint.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Whatever the injury, I hope they give him a lot of Kleenex.

• protius - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Deathmonkey….a better name would be Dorkjockey.

2. Jack Marshall - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Luckily, the Red Sox have some good options at DH, not Papi good, perhaps, but sufficient to keep the offense functioning at a high level. Among them: Mauro Gomez, a born DH with power, but more importantly, Ryan Lavarnway, who is damn good. I would disagree that Ortiz is the player the Sox could least afford to lose for a while.

• saucepaws - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Who is then?

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Nick. Punto.

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

At some point in my life, Nick Punto is somehow going to figure out who I am and beat the living crap out of me. And I will have deserved it, richly.

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You fear Nick Punto? Jeez man, he’d have to get to you first. The list of people who’ve talked smack about Punto is long and distinguished…unlike lil Nicky. If he’s immortal, the Wowbagger of MLB IOW, it’d take him about a zillion years to get to the “E”s on the list of people who’ve talked smack about him to the point of him needing to punch them in the ankle. You be safe enough, brah.

• Jack Marshall - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Middlebrooks, obviously, There is no acceptable replacement at all—and option weakens the team offensively and defensively.

• bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Jack,

No offense, but have you watched a single game this season?

I mean, I agree with you that the Red Sox have at least one reasonably good in house option (Lavarnway) to replace Ortiz, but uhm, if Ortiz isn’t this season’s MVP thus far for the Sox . . . then WHO IS? The return of Ellsbury and Crawford should help lessen the sting, but still . . .

In all of MLB Ortiz currently ranks:

1st in Runs
      3rd in OPS
      5th in SLG
      5th in OBP
      6th in wOBA
      7th in wRC+
      8th in HR

and Top 10-20 in a slew of other categories . . .

Ortiz has been a MLB elite Top 10 . . . arguably Top 5 . . . hitter all year, not only hitting for power, but hitting for average and coming up with big hit after big hit. He’s routinely made a mockery of the Ortiz shift by spraying the ball to all fields. He’s arguably a more complete, better hitter now than he was circa 2007.

So who is more valuable to the Red Sox lineup thus far this season?

• Jack Marshall - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

That wasn’t the question, was it? The question was “Who could they least afford to lose?” Unless Ortiz is out for a month or more, a hitter like Lavarnway could cover most of his loss. Replacing Middlebrooks with Punto is a much bigger fall-off. RIGHT???

I’ve watched ALL the games this season, Dick.

• sabatimus - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM

“Replacing Middlebrooks with Punto is a much bigger fall-off. RIGHT???”

What does fall-off have to do with it when you have someone like Ortiz with the stats listed above? Ortiz has been the ONLY consistent player on this team all year, and he’s been consistently fantastic. Lavarnway would get my vote for the DH if Ortiz is out, but Lavarnway has not proven himself at the ML level at all yet.

So, who could they least afford to lose? Ortiz, in a heartbeat.

• bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Jack,

Just apologize.

I would have had more respect for you, Jack, if you just admitted to making a stupid observation without actually weighing all the facts.

I’ve done it before myself, Jack, and – justified or not – taken the lumps that inevitably came my way.

But then you absurdly double-down on your rather specious observation, Jack, and punctuate it by calling me a “Dick”.

Jack, calling names is easy. I can do it real well . . . and you’ll have to trust me on this but I’m a lot more creative than deploying “Dick”. In fact, I doubt you have the capacity to imagine the more colorful names you have fomented in my head about you.

——————————————————————-

But enough of that, Jack. Let’s talk semantics!

Jack, aside from the fact that you still haven’t offered the player you believe . . .

“is the player the Sox could least afford to lose for a while”

. . . please share your considerable wisdom and experience and explain to us all how that statement is measurably different in meaning from . . .

“who is more valuable to the Red Sox lineup thus far this season”.

—————————————————————–

Finally, while I like Ryan Lavarnway’s long-term upside as a productive ML hitter . . . here is what we know about Lavarnway as a Major League Baseball hitter thus far:

Year              G  PA  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS OPS+  TB

2011             17  43  5  9  2  0  2   8 .231 .302 .436 .738   95  17
        1 Yr             17  43  5  9  2  0  2   8 .231 .302 .436 .738   95  17
        162 Game Avg.   162 410 48 86 19  0 19  76 .231 .302 .436 .738   95 162

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original TableGenerated 7/17/2012.

Given what we know of Papi’s 2012 performance to this point . . . please help me understand what it is you see there that makes you believe that “a hitter like Lavarnway could cover most of his (Ortiz’) loss” ???

• thrstr - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM

nice analysis big, but you’re talking about them like they’e . . .good?
        talk to us when they’re above the freakin orioles in the standings . . .

• bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM

thrstr

As much as I love to raz O’s fans they are a much improved team with a proactive GM who knows what he’s doing behind the wheel.

The AL East is indisputably the best in baseball.

And the Red Sox are still lurking despite all the drama and despite all the injuries.

So yeah, I am talking about them as if they are good. Because they are most certainly capable of performing better than they have to this point.

Although admittedly if Jon Lester doesn’t get his head on straight soon, this team is going no where fast,

3. 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

With Pedroia, Crawford, and Ellsbury all returning to the lineup, I think the Sox can, in fact, afford to lose Ortiz for a little while. Plus, Adrian Gonzalez is starting to heat up.

The offense is never the problem in the Fens.

• bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I agree that their returns should help lessen the blow . . . but the Sox really need to be firing on all cylinders in the second half in order to increase their odds of gaining – at a minimum – a solid wild card footing.

My initial reaction was that Lavarnway may be used as DH . . . but I think that only happens if Shoppach is dealt.

Otherwise, I’ll bet the Red Sox call up an additional pitcher and we should look for Ross, Sweeney, Nava and Aviles to be used at DH as necessary.

4. bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Ladies and gentleman and children of all ages . . . welcome to the 2012 Red Sox Cavalcade of (injured) Stars!

Our next season-hanging-by-a-thread-savior should need no introduction. You’ll remember him from late September 2011 when he gave us one last thrill in a season doomed to fade to black

And now, please give a warm Beantown welcome back to the Fenway Stage . . . Ryan Lavarnway!

5. tonystrong - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I’m a Yankees fan but I like Papi’s personality. With that said, how can one not laugh that this goof injured himself trotting around the bases on a homerun by Gonzalez? I mean how does this happen? He literally was jogging around the bases and stepped on second the wrong way lol does anyone else not finding this a little amusing. I’m not laughing at an injury, that’s wrong, but the way it happened is hysterical. I wish him a speed recovery but this is a blooper injury hahahaha!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I’m not laughing because, while not the same age I’m approaching it, and knowing I could significantly hurt myself just jogging is scary!

• tonystrong - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

That probably has something to do with the life you’ve lived up until this age. If you exercised regularly and ate healthy, you’d probably never encounter a problem like injuring yourself while jogging!

6. Francisco (FC) - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

This is what happens when we let designated hitters run the bases. Please, think of the designated hitters and let pitchers bat.

You’re going to get letters I think…

7. gnyy69 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

well even though the Red Sox are getting healthy this is a crushing blow to them. As a Yankees Fan we wont see Ortiz next weekend at the stadium when the Red Sox Yankees go at it. well i wish him well.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Did he get put on the DL yet? How do you know he won’t play next weekend?

8. randygnyc - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I agree with bigleagues- a team struggling to remain in contention can’t just lose their offensive MVP and continue to remain in contention. The loss of MLB superstars this year, including papi, votto, Bautista, Mariano, etc, is sobering.

9. poprox13 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

“Please, think of the designated hitters and let pitchers bat.”

Yeah, because that brings so much excitement to the game!!!???

10. billymc75 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

“this is what happens when DHs run the bases” really it was a HR,” let the pitchers.” why so they can get hurt. What an idiotic column

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Just pop Youkilis into the DH spot. It may help preserve his fragile physique.

Wait, what’s that you say? The White S..Ohhhhhhh….

12. buccaneerz78 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Only a matter of time before this guys career fell off a cliff from injurys.. This may be the first step….. Over…..

13. randygnyc - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I have to interject on bigleagues behalf. He started his post by saying “no offense”, which was another way of saying he didn’t want to be disrespectful. Then he offered an argument that Jack disagreed with. Jack then reduced himself to an unsolicited attack by calling him a “Dick”. Not very convincing.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3502)