Jul 17, 2012, 3:01 PM EST
It doesn’t sound like David Ortiz is doing so well. The Red Sox’ DH hurt himself last night and had his MRI today, but it sounds pretty ugly:
“They already did the MRI, and the doctors will give me the results this afternoon,” Ortiz told Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportesLosAngeles.com. “I don’t have anything broken, but I’m in a lot of pain, and the heel is swollen.”
This is what happens when we let designated hitters run the bases. Please, think of the designated hitters and let pitchers bat.
The Red Sox have weathered a lot of injuries. But he’s one guy they simply can’t afford to lose for an extended period. It sounds fairly unlikely, however, that he’ll avoid a DL stint.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)