Jul 17, 2012, 7:26 PM EDT
OK, the question was kind of loaded.
Former Mariners great Jay Buhner was asked on an ESPN 710 radio show today whether the Mariners should bring Ichiro Suzuki back for something like $35 million-$40 million over three years, and he decided to go all Carmelo Anthony on the subject. The Seattle Times has the quote:
“I’d vomit,” Buhner said. “I mean, really, no offense. No offense, we’ve got to get this organization turned around. You can’t be spending all the money on one guy.”
Nope, especially not when that one guy has been a liability two years running.
The Mariners are making noises about bringing back Ichiro for 2013 and beyond, but there’s a good chance it’s just talk, and even if it isn’t, they can’t possibly be thinking about giving him a three-year deal. Really, even if he plays a little better over the rest of this season, it’s hard to imagine another team giving him anything more than a one-year, $5 million deal.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)