Jul 17, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s struggling offense gets a boost tonight, as Matt Joyce returns from the disabled list after missing the past month with an oblique injury.
Joyce went 2-for-8 with a double in two games at Single-A and his return as the Rays’ primary right fielder means that Ben Zobrist will shift from the outfield to second base.
To make room for Joyce on the roster the Rays optioned Will Rhymes to Triple-A after the 29-year-old infielder hit just .233 with one homer and a .598 OPS in 45 games. Joyce batted .279 with 11 homers and an .899 OPS in 62 games before the injury and has been one of the more underrated hitters in the league since becoming a regular in 2010.
As a team the Rays have hit just .222 with a .301 on-base percentage and .347 slugging percentage since June 1.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)