Jul 17, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
I’ve watched this a few times and I still don’t know what to make of it.
Phillies’ minor leaguer Jiwan James scaled the wall on Saturday to make what appears to be one of the more ridiculous home run-stealing catches you’ll ever see. He loses his glove when he comes down hard, but then holds the ball up that he somehow — miraculously — caught.
But watch the final slow motion replay of it. It sure as hell looks like the ball went past his glove and over the fence. But then … how did he so quickly come up with a ball in his hand? If it was some sort of sleight-of-hand, really, where was he keeping the other ball? And why? It’s not like keeping a ball on one’s person makes any kind of sense because how often would that come in handy?
The best I can figure is that when it goes past his glove — and it really looks like it went past his glove — it didn’t go over the fence. Rather, it came down right in front of the fence and into his bare hand and he amazingly held on. Yes, now that I’ve watched it several times I’m 88% sure that’s what happened here because any sleight-of-hand theory is just too complicated.
That remaining 12% is because my brain isn’t quite able to process what my eyes are seeing here, but I am inclined to think that this is the greatest catch I’ve ever seen. You be the judge:
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 29
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 13
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)