Jul 17, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
I’ve watched this a few times and I still don’t know what to make of it.
Phillies’ minor leaguer Jiwan James scaled the wall on Saturday to make what appears to be one of the more ridiculous home run-stealing catches you’ll ever see. He loses his glove when he comes down hard, but then holds the ball up that he somehow — miraculously — caught.
But watch the final slow motion replay of it. It sure as hell looks like the ball went past his glove and over the fence. But then … how did he so quickly come up with a ball in his hand? If it was some sort of sleight-of-hand, really, where was he keeping the other ball? And why? It’s not like keeping a ball on one’s person makes any kind of sense because how often would that come in handy?
The best I can figure is that when it goes past his glove — and it really looks like it went past his glove — it didn’t go over the fence. Rather, it came down right in front of the fence and into his bare hand and he amazingly held on. Yes, now that I’ve watched it several times I’m 88% sure that’s what happened here because any sleight-of-hand theory is just too complicated.
That remaining 12% is because my brain isn’t quite able to process what my eyes are seeing here, but I am inclined to think that this is the greatest catch I’ve ever seen. You be the judge:
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)