Missing you, ‘Cepts

Jul 17, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

I still talk to our old friend Halladay’s Bicep[t]s on Twitter sometimes.  He sends me Phillies links. Then he begs me to un-ban him. Then we have these kinds of conversations following a report from Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes:

Not gonna lie. I miss the SOB sometimes. If I had a talk show on NBC Sports Network he’d be Larry “Bud” Melman to my Letterman.  But, unfortunately, this is also why he’s gonna stay banned. Because there’s no way those tweets don’t become part of the comments section and all hell breaks loose.

1. bloodysock - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM

So then why continue to give him a forum here?

• escapingexile - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Well, one could venture to guess one of several different things. One could be that Craig does not personally find him offensive and is merely offering a small sample size of what ‘ceps is currently spewing just to get a gauge on the community reaction. Or two, like him or not, Craig realizes that ‘ceps is actually good for HBT in the sense that his nonsensical ramblings often cause people to ramble outside of this form in their everyday life about what this man said today. Frankly, it’s just good business sense in the latter of the two examples. People talking about your website might lead someone who does not regularly visit to come check it out to see what all the fuss is about. The bottom line is it’s free advertising, and that is good for HBT.

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Or, possibly, like me Craig likes the nitwit. ‘Cepts and I have gotten into some EPIC post/counter posts. Invariably they devolve into insults. However, this never stopped us from talking baseball. Something about which we rarely disagreed. He wasn’t a troll, didn’t go of his way to laugh at misfortune, troll people, or be a douche and for that he has my respect. He held/holds unpopular opinions, he cannot handle being wrong (which he often was), he drinks too much and he lives and bleeds Philly Red. People would bait him or try and correct him about some point and he could not leave it alone or adjust his thinking. Invariably he’d say just the wrong thing and attract even more trolls to him then all hell would break lose as the sane people would try and talk sense into him and the trolls would egg him on. I miss him quite a bit but I feel Craig’s right to keep him off. He’d cause a ruckus and no one would suffer more than ‘Cepts.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I hear you Cur. Not that it matters…but I feel the same way. The dude tended to be over-bearing, polarizing and at times…a shit head. But you always know where he stands.
        And for that…I appreciate the Man. Frontin’ is something I can not tolerate.
        For all his faults…Cepts does NOT front.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

It’s a joke. Why does espn have a spanish addition to their website and spanish speaking athletes need to talk to them?

Not sure if serious here, but maybe because they realize they have audiences that don’t speak fluent English? That ESPN is a global entity that broadcasts games from other countries, and those people subscribe to ESPN? Wtf does who he speaks to have anything to do with it?

Otiz plays for the Boston Redsox in the USA, not the “fill in the blank team” in the Dominican.

Oh there’s the racist angle from ‘cepts we’ve come to know. ‘Cepts gonna ‘cepts

• schlom - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

It’s not necessarily racist since I assume that he’d have a problem with any player, regardless of color, that doesn’t speak English as their first language.

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I think ESPN should put out a special addition for people who are bad with homonyms.

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Er, homophones.

I’m going to blame urteamsux52’s cell phone for that one.

• skerney - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Halladaysbicepts:
      This is planet Earth, speak English! Also, my brain cannot comprehend why there are other nations and languages, and why a global brand would create a specialized product for the international market. Mets Suck! Go Phillies!

3. SmackSaw - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Admit you love him and want to bring him back. You have my permission. Now that the Phillies suck, it’d be fun to watch him self destruct…again.

4. okwhitefalcon - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Craig, I think he’d be more suited to that of Chris Elliot in the Letterman scenario.

• JB (the original) - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

or Andy Dick….

5. skerney - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Craig, you, I, and most others know that this place is better off without Halladaysbicepts and those like him.

6. zakharovsa - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Amazingly, even Latin players like Ortiz that do speak English sometimes do interviews in their native language. What a tremendous idiot. Does he lay awake at night petrified that people are talking about him in Spanish?

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I have my doubts that HB is fluent in English, much less Gaelic. He should be demanding a publication written at 2nd grade level with lots of hand puppets.

• madhatternalice - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Thank you for this. I can’t stop laughing picturing this.

7. randygnyc - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

If you intend to enforce the ban, because you’d like to keep his inflammatory posts off the board, why gratuitously post them? Unadulterated hypocrisy.

8. nategearhart - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Leave him gone. It’s nice having a comments section on the internet that is practically free of xenophobia and bigotry, and I’d like it to stay that way.

9. protectthishouse54 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

There must be a way to accomodate for ol’ Cepts. Can we somehow limit him to one comment per day, so that he’ll really have to make it count?

• nategearhart - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

His twitter account is public, you can just go look at his obsessive tweeting to Craig.

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Once a month, I do.

I have problems.

• kopy - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Like Mitch Hedberg’s suggestion that people get 3 honks per month on their car horn?

“…somebody cuts you off, you press it, *pfft*, nothing happens. You’re like, ‘S***! I wish I wouldn’t have seen Ricky on the sidewalk!'”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I miss Mitch.

• bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Kopy, stairs if I could issue 1,000 Thumbs Up for Mitch, I would!

10. ashipinharbor - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

It cracks me up that this idiot can’t even spell ‘biceps’ right, and he complains about players not speaking English. Racists are ridiculous.

• approvenothing - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Were not ridiculous, were dreamers…

11. paperlions - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Could me make a special “Ignore ‘cepts” button, so people could choose to ignore his comments? That way, you could turn him on or off depending on your level of patience each day.

12. townballblog - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

(A) It’s not hard for halladaybiceps to read the posts as another user. (B) Perhaps Craig posting about him is his way of rubbing it in (that he’s not going to be unbanned). (C) Maybe biceps’ grammar is so bad that we misunderstand what he says. (D) I’m hungry.

• number42is1 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I too am hungry.. therefore, we must agree on the rest of it, right?

13. stlouis1baseball - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

“I am Irish decent. I demand a Gaelic ESPN site to speak my ancestors language.”
    Awesome. Like him or dislike him, agree with his belief’s or disagree…whatever.
    This right here is funny and he has a wonderful point. He just tends to go about it the wrong way.

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

He has no point, nor is it funny or wonderful.

As to your post, lauding communicating in English: it used an unnecessary apostrophe in the word beliefs and lacks a comma in a compound sentence.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I am gonna’ have to disagree 18th. Having a Gaelic speaking site would NO different than any other ethnic based and/or language speaking channel. No difference whatsoever.
        The fact that you fail to see this is part of the problem.
        As for your editing…
        Thanks Mrs. Reynolds

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM

The difference is that there’s no demand for it.

Signed,
        Adam Smith

• paperlions - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Isn’t the problem with that the fact that ‘cepts doesn’t speak Gaelic?

Other people don’t want an ESPN site in the ancestor’s language, they want on in the language the currently speak.

• The Common Man - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

No, that’s a terrible point, actually. He’s arguing that ESPN deliberately ignore a huge portion of the sports loving public, not just in this country but in America’s closest neighbors (i.e. the countries most likely to be interested in baseball and who are also very interested in soccer). Good try though.

• The Common Man - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

In other words, he is arguing that ESPN should deliberately forgo money because he thinks ESPN Deportes is some kind of concession to “political correctness.”

• nategearhart - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

His point isn’t wonderful. What he doesn’t understand is that ESPN didn’t create ESPN Deportes as some reaction to Spanish speakers demanding equal treatment sports reporting or some such thing. It created it because there was a metric butt-ton of money to be made off offering a service to Spanish speakers. If ESPN could make money off a “Gaelic ESPN” it would start it up. But it wouldn’t, so it won’t. He seems to think American companies should only conduct business in English. Good luck with that.

• mornelithe - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

No, he actually doesn’t have a point. How many serious baseball markets actually have a Gaelic speaking community? My ancestry is Irish also, and I think it’s such a small demographic that it’s not even a blip on the radar. In fact, the dominant language in Ireland is currently English. So a Gaelic television station would only be accessible to a minute percentage of the populace.

Whereas, in the Dominican Republic, the official language is Spanish, and the only people who you can generally expect to know English (this isn’t to say it’s not more widespread) are those in the tourist industry. The amount of those who fluidly speak and understand Gaelic versus those who speak Spanish seems like an incredibly poor comparison to make, he could’ve gone with a much more widely used dialect.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Morn: I hear where you and several others are coming from. I truly do.
        But you guys are looking at his rather tongue in cheek comment like Rain Man.
        Of course the number of Gaelic speaking people are miniscule. Especially when compared to Spanish speaking people. Hell…the number is miniscule when compared to any language.
        The point Cepts was making is where does it end? Who are we now worried about offending, pandering to, or otherwise catering to.
        In a nutshell: Where is Cepts’ Gaelic language programming?
        See how ridiculous that sounds? It’s absolutely hilarious!

• mornelithe - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I understand the point he was making StLouis, however, the point he’s forgetting is…whose money is it? It’s not his, right? Who is he to say what ESPN can or cannot do? And if David Ortiz wants to have one of the thousands of interviews he has in a single season with a Spanish network, who are any of us to chime in on that? And seriously, it’s not like Ortiz hasn’t spoken with the Boston media regarding his Achilles injury already…I’ve read several articles, in English, to know that’s not the case.

Not sure why this is really such a big deal, honestly. David Ortiz is from the Dominican, it’s to be expected that every so often, he’s going to be interviewed by a Spanish speaking network. Seems like Cepts is making way way too much out of nothing.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Except, as per ‘cepts usual m.o., that’s not even close to the point. He first makes a comment about why is there a Spanish ESPN. That’s easy, and it was made a few comments up. Someone at ESPN obviously did a cost benefit analysis of adding a second language site, and it’s making them money. If they thought they’d get one for german/chinese/italian/wingdings they’d do that as well. It’s strictly money, and Ortiz was being interviewed by one of their reporters.

The second comment, and far more egregious but par for ‘cepts course, has to do with who and where he plays. Just because you play/work/etc here doesn’t mean you have to speak a specific language.

14. delawarephilliesfan - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

You want ‘Cepts on this board, you NEEED ‘Cepts on this board!

If he is Jessup, you are Tom Cruise. Yikes!!

15. phillyphever - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Nah, don’t miss him one bit.

16. allisonhagen - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

You forgot to mention “trolls my girlfriend”

• 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I am REALLY looking forward to the movie version of this website.

• cur68 - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Can I be the drunk at the end of the bar in it? Pu-leeeeeeeeese?

• wlschneider09 - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Fine by me, but that’s gonna be one very looooong and full bar….

17. The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I don’t understand why anyone would want to limit Major League Baseball to only English-speaking players. I personally want the best players, regardless of what their native tongue may be.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly Mabry. That is probably the biggest thing (of a whole lot of things)…that I disagree with Cepts about.

18. hansob - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I think this might be the funniest use of the phrase “then all hell breaks loose” since my 8 year old son explained to me what happens if you get spiny-shelled in Mario Kart.

• The Common Man - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, that shit was crazy. Like Fall of Saigon level chaos.

19. paperlions - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

So….when can we expect “Charla de Pelota Dura” to start up?

20. sgoodmantzak - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Sounds like a phillystine

21. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I truly don’t understand why we’re giving so much attention to the worst commenter in HBT history. He added no value. Just ignorance and poor spelling.

22. bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I love the Cepts on Twitter.

And quite honestly . . . I didn’t mind him on here either.

There is one thing that separates him from most of the rest of us . . . the ability to self-edit.

23. bigleagues - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Apparently ‘Cepts hasn’t looked hard enough for that Irish Sports website . . .

Oh wait, my bad . . . wrong one . . .

Please take note of who is featured in the third link from the top!
    :-)

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hahaha! Outstanding. Thanks for posting bigleagues.

24. Reflex - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

He alienates anyone who sees the world even slightly different than himself. He is aggressively abusive towards non-natives and women. He gets drunk, frequently, and then posts nonsense. I don’t miss him.

He has issues. The way people deal with issues is to recognize that they have issues and deal with them. If there are no consequences for his actions, he will never be forced to deal with those issues. At some point he has to ask himself if perhaps he is just flat out wrong about things. A lot of things.

I had to go through that, everyone does, and the honest ones adjust their views in light of the experience. He seems to have never bothered to do so, and by giving him a forum he never will.

In short, I don’t miss him. If I were convinced he had truly changed though, I’m all for second chances. But I’d have to see proof and a pattern of not only good behaviour, but true change in how he sees the world.

25. vikesfansteve - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

At least the dude had the balls to make his own post & stand behind what he said. All you chickenshits do is comment on what someone else said & don’t have the courage to state anything using your own brains.

Like the fools saying that when you think of Willie Mays you don’t automatically associate him with the catch or you don’t associate Reggie Jackson with his 3 homer game in the World Series or the monster shot in Detroit as an A. Oh yeah, how do you remember him as then? An Oriole!?

Sabermetric blowhards.

• thefalcon123 - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Cepts? Is that you?

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3316)