Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
They Yankees seem to be saving Reggie Jackson from himself. Or at least from the wrath of dudes like Don Sutton and Phil Niekro.
The New York Post reports that the Yankees will reinstate (or whatever, considering his job is kind of amorphous) Mr. October in time for this weekend’s series against the A’s in Oakland. He’ll spend the weekend with the team rather than go to Cooperstown to Hall of Fame inductions.
Pretty convenient given that, if he wasn’t all the way out in California, a lot of people would wonder why he didn’t show up in Cooperstown for inductions as most living Hall of Fame members do. But given that he insulted Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro — not to mention deceased Hall of Fame members Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter — he would probably not be all that welcome if he were there.
Now, all the Yankees have to do is to find some plausible reason why Jackson would actually join the Yankees on a road trip as if he were some sort of actual employee with responsibilities and stuff.
Maybe he could use his cleanup skills to be a clubhouse attendant. Or the team bartender on the charter flight, literally stirring the drinks.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 35
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 117
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 107
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)