Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
They Yankees seem to be saving Reggie Jackson from himself. Or at least from the wrath of dudes like Don Sutton and Phil Niekro.
The New York Post reports that the Yankees will reinstate (or whatever, considering his job is kind of amorphous) Mr. October in time for this weekend’s series against the A’s in Oakland. He’ll spend the weekend with the team rather than go to Cooperstown to Hall of Fame inductions.
Pretty convenient given that, if he wasn’t all the way out in California, a lot of people would wonder why he didn’t show up in Cooperstown for inductions as most living Hall of Fame members do. But given that he insulted Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro — not to mention deceased Hall of Fame members Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter — he would probably not be all that welcome if he were there.
Now, all the Yankees have to do is to find some plausible reason why Jackson would actually join the Yankees on a road trip as if he were some sort of actual employee with responsibilities and stuff.
Maybe he could use his cleanup skills to be a clubhouse attendant. Or the team bartender on the charter flight, literally stirring the drinks.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)