Reggie Jackson to rejoin Yankees just in time to skip the Hall of Fame inductions

Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT

Reggie Jackson

They Yankees seem to be saving Reggie Jackson from himself. Or at least from the wrath of dudes like Don Sutton and Phil Niekro.

The New York Post reports that the Yankees will reinstate (or whatever, considering his job is kind of amorphous) Mr. October in time for this weekend’s series against the A’s in Oakland. He’ll spend the weekend with the team rather than go to Cooperstown to Hall of Fame inductions.

Pretty convenient given that, if he wasn’t all the way out in California, a lot of people would wonder why he didn’t show up in Cooperstown for inductions as most living Hall of Fame members do. But given that he insulted Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro — not to mention deceased Hall of Fame members Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter — he would probably not be all that welcome if he were there.

Now, all the Yankees have to do is to find some plausible reason why Jackson would actually join the Yankees on a road trip as if he were some sort of actual employee with responsibilities and stuff.

Maybe he could use his cleanup skills to be a clubhouse attendant. Or the team bartender on the charter flight, literally stirring the drinks.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I’m sure all of us just “mis-heard” Reggie’s comments.

• buffalochris - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

If that’s a Clemens dig, then its: misremembered

2. hcf95688 - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Great. Now we A’s fans have to be saddled with watching this pompus jerk (and his Yankees cap) walking arouind the Coliseum like he owns it. I wish the A’s would un-retire his number.

• hankg42 - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I don’t think he should have had his number retired in NY either.

• hcf95688 - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Absolutely agree about that. How many years did he play in New York? 5 years?

And just to be clear, he definitely deserved to have his number retaired by the A’s…but the way he acts/treats the team, city and fans when the Yankees visit Oakland is beyond disrespectful. I get it: He works for the Yankees, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be somewhat gracious – in fact, just the opposite.

• hankg42 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

He has a history of putting his feet in his mouth. I don’t think the word “gracious” is in his dictionary.

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

George basically retired Reggie’s number as a bribe to go into the Hall as a Yank.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Reggie will have one helluva comeuppance when introduced in Cooperstown. By the fans, obviously, but I’m so curious to see what his peers do. Do they welcome him or just make no effort to cheer? Or do they secretly agree with his comments? Can’t wait.

4. mybrunoblog - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

It will be fascinating to watch Reggie in the coming years if he ever attends a HOF induction. His best bet for redemption? The HOFers have a private dinner in Cooperstown the night before that years inductions. He should stand up at that dinner, apologize and ask his fellow HOFers to leave the incident behind them. Of course, Reggie is a narcissist with a huge ego so I doubt he would stand up and apologize in front of 50 of his peers.

• hep3 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I doubt that Reggie would apologize to even ONE of his peers under any circumstances for any transgression.

5. namriverrat69 - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

And to think that an ego like Jesse’s would allow him to personally chase down andx caught a purse snatcher on the streets of New York years and years ago. I loved him as a player but as a person he leaves so much to be desired. I can separate the player on the field from the personality off the field. I liked his take on Steinbrenner and Martin that one year. He said one was a born liar and the other was a convicted liar. What a gas.

Like Pete Rose, In some respects I think he should be in the HOF as a player but at the same time he was a player coach and betting (although he claims he never bet on those gamesw – RIGHT!!), which muddles up the logic. I was a Rose fan since he was a rookie. As much as I want to see him in the HOF as a player, I really don’t. As a man he leaves so much to be desired. He sold out his own self. Really sad.

6. twinsboy34 - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Reggie and Ozzie put stranded on an Island together..

7. millmannj - Jul 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM

@ namriverrat69: The convicted/liar comment was actually made by Billy Martin, referring to Steinbrenner & Reggie. Martin was fired a few days later.

• namriverrat69 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Thanks – I stand corrected.

8. vikesfansteve - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Back when I was a kid Reggie hit one in the ice plant in center field in Alemeda County stadium. The ice plant was over 500 ft from home. His strikeouts were as exciting as the HR’s. He hit HR’s in all 3 WS he played in with the Yankees. The dude was clutch & awesome. He earned the right to be Mr. October & Mr. whatever he wants.

• jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Absolutely not true. I’m copying an exerpt from “BigLeagues” that he left in another post about Reggie in another post just up the line. And I quote:

“The Yankees had won 3 Games in the ’77 World Series in spite of Reggie, who, entering Game 5 was batting a robust .206 for the playoffs:

Games 1-3, he had absolutely ZERO impact on the games . . . other than being pinch hit for twice . . .

Game 1: 1-2, no RBI, pinch hit for by Paul Blair
      Game 2: 0-4, 2 K’s now sporting .167 playoff AVG
      Game 3: 1-3, 1 RBI, 2 Runs, Lifted for Paul Blair, again.

Game 4: What was more important in this game? Reggie’s solo HR to put the Yankees up 4-2 . . . or Louisiana Lightening throwing a Complete Game 4-hitter?

Game 5, Jackson hits another solo shot in the 8th Inning to make it 10-4, Dodgers. Big whoop.

Game 6 – where his legend was born and remains. Mike Torrez throws a CG, allowing 4 Runs (just 2 Earned). And Reggie, who entered Game 6 batting .242 for the ’77 playoffs with meaningless hit after meaningless hit, finally shows up and because he showed up for ONE game . . . he (thanks to a backhanded compliment by a TRUE Hall of Famer, Thurman Munson) is forever known as “Mr. October”.

To hear Yankees fans and Jackson fanboys tell it, Reggie Jackson placed the Yankees on his back and single handedly won the 1977 World Series. Not that 3 CG Wins combined by Torrez and Guidry had anything to do with locking down that series.

Mike Torrez: 2-0, 2.50 ERA, 18 IP, 2 CG, 15 K, 5 BB and Reggie shows up for ONE game and walks away with the World Series MVP.

Torrez was the true Mr. October in 1977 and Jackson winning that Series’ MVP would NEVER happen in this day and age.”

Exhibit “A” for the court.

• yankeefanincolo - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Great post, jon623… interesting and very informative! I agree, Reggie did NOT deserve to be the MVP, but he did cement his place in World Series lore with that performance.

He was always so terribly arrogant… calling himself “the straw” and all, but what I disliked about him the most was his disrespect of Munson, who is one of my top five favorite Yankee players of all time and was by far (imho) the greatest player on those teams.

I had the privilege of attending a reunion of the ’77/’78 Yankees in New York a few years ago; it was so cool being able to rub shoulders with guys like Chambliss, Rivers, Sparky Lyle and some 8 to 10 others. Of course Reggie was above anything like that and didn’t attend.

• vikesfansteve - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Reggie played in 3 world series with the Yankees. He hit a home run in every one of those World Series. I didn’t say every game.

Also he did hit the HR into the ice plant.

You have to be one of the dumbest people alive.
        That is absolutely true.

• jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

^Whoa there Tiger, I’m simply having a discussion here. Not liking this hostility. I know he hit a homer in all three WS that he played in. I give him credit for that. I’m not negating it. I’m simply pointing out some information that argues my side to the argument, which is that I don’t think he deserves all the hype and “Mr. October, Mr. Whatever-he-wants-to-be” talk.

I’m not attacking you. I’m having a discussion. “One of the dumbest people alive” seems a little harsh and immature, no?

9. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Truth hurts. If you want the politically correct answer you should have talked to someone else.

10. foreverchipper10 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Makes me glad that Coop kept that 3rd home run ball…

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3990)