Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
They Yankees seem to be saving Reggie Jackson from himself. Or at least from the wrath of dudes like Don Sutton and Phil Niekro.
The New York Post reports that the Yankees will reinstate (or whatever, considering his job is kind of amorphous) Mr. October in time for this weekend’s series against the A’s in Oakland. He’ll spend the weekend with the team rather than go to Cooperstown to Hall of Fame inductions.
Pretty convenient given that, if he wasn’t all the way out in California, a lot of people would wonder why he didn’t show up in Cooperstown for inductions as most living Hall of Fame members do. But given that he insulted Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro — not to mention deceased Hall of Fame members Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter — he would probably not be all that welcome if he were there.
Now, all the Yankees have to do is to find some plausible reason why Jackson would actually join the Yankees on a road trip as if he were some sort of actual employee with responsibilities and stuff.
Maybe he could use his cleanup skills to be a clubhouse attendant. Or the team bartender on the charter flight, literally stirring the drinks.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)