Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
They Yankees seem to be saving Reggie Jackson from himself. Or at least from the wrath of dudes like Don Sutton and Phil Niekro.
The New York Post reports that the Yankees will reinstate (or whatever, considering his job is kind of amorphous) Mr. October in time for this weekend’s series against the A’s in Oakland. He’ll spend the weekend with the team rather than go to Cooperstown to Hall of Fame inductions.
Pretty convenient given that, if he wasn’t all the way out in California, a lot of people would wonder why he didn’t show up in Cooperstown for inductions as most living Hall of Fame members do. But given that he insulted Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro — not to mention deceased Hall of Fame members Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter — he would probably not be all that welcome if he were there.
Now, all the Yankees have to do is to find some plausible reason why Jackson would actually join the Yankees on a road trip as if he were some sort of actual employee with responsibilities and stuff.
Maybe he could use his cleanup skills to be a clubhouse attendant. Or the team bartender on the charter flight, literally stirring the drinks.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)