Jul 17, 2012, 1:50 AM EST
From The Trentonian’s Josh Norris, maybe the best minor league best writer around, comes word that the White Sox have scouted Dellin Betances’ last three starts and are attempting to trade for the Yankees prospect.
Betances’ stock has tumbled this year, with the 6-foot-8 right-hander getting demoted to Double-A Trenton after going 3-5 with a 6.39 ERA and a 71/69 K/BB ratio in 74 2/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He has been quite a bit better since the move, going 1-1 with a 2.41 ERA and a 20/7 K/BB ratio in 18 2/3 innings (though with five unearned runs).
Still, even with Betances’ stock down, it’s hard to see how a deal would work here. The White Sox certainly aren’t looking to sell veterans, and while they’ve steadily produced major leaguers these last few years, their minor league system isn’t very well regarded. Plus, the simple fact that the White Sox are high on him should give the Yankees pause about dealing him. They’re the same team that took the lightly regarded Jose Quintana from them over the winter and quickly turned him into a major league starter.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)