Report: White Sox target Yankees prospect Dellin Betances in trade talks

Jul 17, 2012, 1:50 AM EST

Dellin Betances Reuters

From The Trentonian’s Josh Norris, maybe the best minor league best writer around, comes word that the White Sox have scouted Dellin Betances’  last three starts and are attempting to trade for the Yankees prospect.

Betances’ stock has tumbled this year, with the 6-foot-8 right-hander getting demoted to Double-A Trenton after going 3-5 with a 6.39 ERA and a 71/69 K/BB ratio in 74 2/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He has been quite a bit better since the move, going 1-1 with a 2.41 ERA and a 20/7 K/BB ratio in 18 2/3 innings (though with five unearned runs).

Still, even with Betances’ stock down, it’s hard to see how a deal would work here. The White Sox certainly aren’t looking to sell veterans, and while they’ve steadily produced major leaguers these last few years, their minor league system isn’t very well regarded. Plus, the simple fact that the White Sox are high on him should give the Yankees pause about dealing him. They’re the same team that took the lightly regarded Jose Quintana from them over the winter and quickly turned him into a major league starter.

1. bradtoughy - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Either Betances is right-handed or that’s a photo of a different Yankee prospect.

• artthoumad - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Betances is right-handed. He got him confused with Banuelos, another yankee prospect.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Whoops. That Betances, Banuelos, Brackman trio always got me. Thanks!

2. randygnyc - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM

What are the expecting for Betances? I’m expecting a major league ready player like Chris sale or Paul konerko. In general, we’re holding back Betances and banuelos, along with MLB ready Nunez and cervelli for an already established Ace. But not just any ace, but an elite starter. King Felix or similar. We’re not going to part them off, one at a time for players like Upton or victorino. Elite arms or nothing.

• The Wizard - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM

would Chris Sale be enough or do you expect the Sox to have to sweeten their offer?

• purnellmeagrejr - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM

raNDY – You got me again. I read the posts without first checking who the poster is – After getttting about 1 sentence into your post I saaid to myself, “This guy is a nut.” I checked the name – and, sure enough, there you were.

• mJankiewicz - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I never cease to be amazed by randy’s posts. I really can’t tell if he’s trolling or if he’s actually as stupid/crazy as he appears.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Can we include Ramiro Pena into any deal so that we can be sure he’ll never be on the Yankees major league roster ever again?

• number42is1 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

you know… Craig just wrote and article about people like you

3. uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Betances isn’t going to make the Yankees starting rotation. He’s 24 he’ll be 25 before next season starts and he’s in Double A Trenton. IF the Yankees were able to make him the centerpiece of a trade for a player especially for someone like Upton and especially with it beginning to look more and more like Gardner may be lost for the entrie season they should do it in a heartbeat.

• uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Just as a follow up to that comment. I would speculate that the Yankees starting rotation next season will be: CC, Nova, Hughes, Pineda, Phelps and perhaps re-signing either Kuroda or Pettitte to a 1 year deal. Since Banuelos has spent a good portion of this season on the DL in Triple A I don’t see him with the Big League club until possible the 2013 trade deadline or Sept. 2013 when the clubs can expand their rosters. Just my opinion.

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Betances isn’t going to be the centerpiece of anything right now – more like a throw-in for a team that thinks it can fix him. His upside is maybe leveraged relief right now.

Not sure about Phelps for the rotation next year. If possible, I’d love to see the Yanks bring back both Kuroda and Pettitte on one-year deals. I’d use Phelps as a leveraged fireman who can give you a spot-start in a pinch. I actually think he’d excel in a “you get one pass through the batting order – get as many outs as you can” sort of role.

• uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Kevin, I don’t see both Kuroda and Pettitte in the cards for the Yankees next season UNLESS Pineda suffers some sort of setback(s) during his rehab.
      Assuming Pineda rehabs fine and is ready to start the 2013 season signing both Kuroda and Pettitte next season creates a “cluster buck” for the Yankees with an ill advised competition for the 5 starting spots. In my opinion that would not be a good idea.
      If they sign just one the Yankees can go with: CC, Nova, Hughes, Pineda and whichever they chose to sign Kuroda or Pettitte. Then have Phelps waiting in the wings as the long relief guy. The only problem I see with that is Cashman has stated many, many times he see Phelps as a starter and in the Yankees future.
      I’m sure Cashman can sort it out, that’s why he get paid the big bucks.

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, I miscounted somehow. You’re right that if Pineda comes back healthy that would seem to be an issue, although do you remember all the hand-wringing about too much pitching back in late March and early April? Pettitte and Kuroda aren’t really guys that you would make fungible, but maybe the Yankees use the extra rotation depth to keep Pineda down and bring him up when somebody inevitably gets hurt? That way there’s no incentive to rush him back.

• uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Kevin, yes I do remember. I’m just not sure Kuroda at probably $10MM plus is someone the Yankees are going to want to resign on the possibility/theory that you can never have to much pitching. I can see them inviting Pettitte as insurance. I think if the Yankee do want extra insurance they go for a Garcia “type” starter, but not Garcia. I think this is Garcia’s last hooray with the Yankees. But I’m sure there will be an ample supply or reclamation projects to start the 2013 season that Cashman would be able to chose from, if need be.

• purnellmeagrejr - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Well thought out – it makes even more sense in light of the fact that Arizona made out so welll with Ian Kennedy – a not particularly impressive pitcher who trurned into a particularly consistenet winnner. THe Pirates seeeem ty be doing prettty welll with the arms they’ve got from NY.

4. klink6224 - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I just find it amazing that a writer from the Trashtonian could be regarded as the best around. Awesome for him but that paper is atrocious.

5. Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Yeah, I’ve seen in several places that the White Sox were zeroing in on Betances… but what are they offering? Are they trying to buy low and hope that Don Cooper can work his magic? I’m just really, really confused by those reports.

• marinersnate - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM

“but what are they offering?”

The way Betances has pitched this year? Probably a deep-dish pizza.

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Exactly. It only makes sense if they’re trying to get the Yankees to sell low on him, but I dunno, the tenor of how their pursuit is described doesn’t seem to fit that. Just feels weird.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM

no chance this deal happens

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4741)
  2. M. Kemp (3752)
  3. M. Cabrera (2934)
  4. J. Kang (2849)
  5. J. Upton (2661)
  1. M. Morse (2634)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2345)
  3. A. Rios (2301)