Jul 17, 2012, 12:20 AM EDT
The A’s are winners of nine of their last 10 games and are now 46-43 for the season, putting themselves right in the mix for a wild card spot.
Rosenthal lists Toronto’s Yunel Escobar and Arizona’s Stephen Drew as possibilities for the A’s. The Jays might be willing to move Escobar with Adeiny Hechavarria putting up decent numbers at Triple-A Las Vegas, particularly if it would get them some immediate pitching help. Escobar, though, has been quite a disappointment himself this season, hitting .251/.299/.339 in 342 at-bats.
The A’s would probably be better off upgrading at third rather than at short. As terrible as Pennington has been with the bat this year — he’s hitting .203/.266/.290 — he still offers fine defense, and he’s been a perfectly respectable hitter in the past (he finished with identical .687 OPSs in 2010 & ’11). He’s a better bet than Brandon Inge to serve as an average regular over the rest of the season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)