Jul 17, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
The Braves had both Martin Prado and Jair Jurrjens up for bids over the winter before declining to trade either. Jurrjens’ status with the team going forward remains unsettled, but in light of Prado’s strong campaign, the Braves are hoping to lock their No. 2 hitter up to a long-term deal, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports.
The plan almost certainly will be to have Prado take over at third base next year with Chipper Jones headed off to retirement. The 28-year-old has played mostly left field this season, but he has made 16 starts at third in place of Chipper. Overall, he’s hit .318/.376/.451 in 337 at-bats. If he keeps it up, it’d be the third time in his four full seasons that he’s batted over .300, with only 2011’s disappointing .260/.302/.385 campaign standing out.
Prado is making $4.75 million this year and should be in line for $6 million-$7 million next year in his final season of arbitration. If the Braves can sign him for that same kind of annual salar for three years, such a pact wouldn’t be a bad idea. They have an intriguing third-base prospect in Edward Salcedo, but he’s just 20 and he could still go either way.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)