Jul 17, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
The Braves had both Martin Prado and Jair Jurrjens up for bids over the winter before declining to trade either. Jurrjens’ status with the team going forward remains unsettled, but in light of Prado’s strong campaign, the Braves are hoping to lock their No. 2 hitter up to a long-term deal, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports.
The plan almost certainly will be to have Prado take over at third base next year with Chipper Jones headed off to retirement. The 28-year-old has played mostly left field this season, but he has made 16 starts at third in place of Chipper. Overall, he’s hit .318/.376/.451 in 337 at-bats. If he keeps it up, it’d be the third time in his four full seasons that he’s batted over .300, with only 2011’s disappointing .260/.302/.385 campaign standing out.
Prado is making $4.75 million this year and should be in line for $6 million-$7 million next year in his final season of arbitration. If the Braves can sign him for that same kind of annual salar for three years, such a pact wouldn’t be a bad idea. They have an intriguing third-base prospect in Edward Salcedo, but he’s just 20 and he could still go either way.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)