Jul 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Get the Yankees involved in this deal and we can do another blockbuster! Rosenthal:
The Detroit Tigers have shown interest in Arizona Diamondbacks infielders Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts, major-league sources told FOXSports.com … It’s not clear how advanced the talks are, but sources say there has been dialogue between the clubs on scenarios involving one or both players.
Drew has only played a handful of games since coming back from a broken ankle and the Tigers have a shortstop in Jhonny Peralta who is having a down year (he’s probably the most yo-yoing player in the game, so no surprise), so that seems like a weird matchup, trade-wise. The key here is likely Roberts, who while pretty terrible, is still a second base upgrade for the Tigers. Heck, bringing back Dick McAuliffe would be an upgrade for them and he’s 72 years-old.
Anyway, I don’t get this. Maybe I get it better if we’re sure that Drew is going to be good and healthy and mobile again, but in the meantime, someone please enlighten me.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45