You can never have too much of a good thing: the Nationals want pitching

Jul 17, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT

Ryan Dempster Getty Images

The Nationals have the best rotation in the game, but Ken Rosenthal reports that that’s not stopping them from wanting to get better:

The team is exploring trades for starting pitchers, including Cubs right-hander Ryan Dempster, according to major-league sources.

They’re serious about shutting down Stephen Strasburg, it seems. And even if they aren’t, when was the last time there truly was a team with too much starting pitching?

1. dchillin - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

One more ace plus Ramon Hernandez… LOOK OUT!! N-A-T-S NATS NATS NATS!!!

p.s. Phillies suck

• chap6869 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

You Nats fans should be proud of your team, all 3 of you.

• dchillin - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

OOOOOOO someone sounds BITTer. Brand new team with a huge up and coming fan base. DC is an extremely vibrant and well educated city (nothing you would know about) and is the perfect setting for baseball. In 5 years DC will be all about the Skins in the Winter and the Nats in the summer. You must be mad

• donniebb23 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

You Philly fans should be horrified with your team, all 3 million of you.

• sgoodmantzak - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Sir you’ve just ignited my Natitude

• sgoodmantzak - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Sir I believe you have just ignited my Natitude

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Oh chillin, your smack talk is so eloquent and wounding.

Your team is in firstn the furthest into the season since they were north of the border, be more gracious!

Because if somehow the Phillies come back and get into that wild card scenario, I’ll want to revisit this line of commentary.

And Washington must be a well educated town, they elected a crack head to run the place, multiple times! I mean if that’s not pure genius, I just don’t know what is.

• dchillin - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Your city has always sucked and now you got a team to boot. Pair that with your obnoxious and intolerant scumbag fans and I couldn’t be happier. Eagles suck, Flyers suck, 6’ers suck BOOM

• chap6869 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Man, you 3 Nats fans are very sensitive, I just merely stated that, up to this point in the season, you should be proud.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

“Your city has always sucked and now you got a team to boot”

Now I know what you mean about our education system being poor. Just look at you, chillin, takes one to know one and you are the quintessential poster child! Good for you man, I hope you figure out how to get that straw in your Capri Sun one of these days, this way you could graduate from your huggie drinks!

I’ll be so proud.

The season’s not over yet bucko.

2. sgoodmantzak - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I hope Da Rz0 has legitimate concern to shut ‘er down. I also hope the Nats don’t overpay for a guy who may have had a flukey first half.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

So it’s bad enough y’all are stealing Jets chants, but now you are also stealing Wu-Tang names?

• sgoodmantzak - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Beware of the Morseface Killah and Ol’ Dirty Bernadina

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Well done, +1 to you

3. natinals10 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Mike Rizzo is the best GM in baseball

• chadjones27 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Let’s give that Werth contract a little while longer before proclaiming him the best. If in a year or two that’s the only thing he gets wrong, then maybe… maybe

• jl9830 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

No he’s not. His team was conveniently the worst in baseball the two years generational players were available. He’s good, but let’s not go crazy and overlook how lucky the Nationals got.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Thats a good one. Best GM? I was enjoying the smack talk as a Phillies fan. As long as it doesn’t get too rediculous it’s all good since I’m sure Phillies fans were just as harsh on Mets and Braves fans when the Phillies started winning games. But Rizzo as best GM? JL9830 is correct. It doesn’t take a genious to pick Strasburg and Harper. Two once in a generation players that were known to be once in a generation players well before they were even drafted. That’s like saying Pat Williams was a genious for selecting Shaquille Oneal. The moves that really count are the ones where some thinking is involved about what benefits the moves will have now and in the future. The Jason Werth is embarassingly just awful and will likely have an effect on the Nats ability to manage payroll down the line when they try to keep the team competitive when the cheap players aren’t so cheap anymore. Don’t think I’m just bashing Rizzo because I’m a Phillies fan. I’ve bashed Ruben Amaro for the same reasons. It’s easy to spend big money on great players like Halladay or Lee. It’s the smaller moves that needed some more thought that are questionable. Signing Papelbon for big money when the rest of the pen is questionable at best. The Blanton contract, the 3 top prospects for Pence ( I wanted Pence, but not for 3 top prospects), etc. Lets just wait and see on Rizzo before we crown him.

4. psunick - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

How about the Giants, Craig? How many teams do you know that can carry a starting pitcher with a near-6.00 ERA…and still be in first place?

• Kevin S. - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Pretty sure that describes most every Yankee team from 2004-2007. Let me get back to you on that.

5. Francisco (FC) - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Rizzo should ask Ruben “Pitching Wins Championships” Amaro, how many WS Trophies he has with that mantra…

6. jon623 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I’m new to HBT, but I have to say, there are some seriously witty people in here, and I love it. Sharp wits and baseball… it’s a good life.

I think Dempster going to the Nats would be a fantastic move. But on that note, what would the Cubbies get out of it?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3254)