Adam Dunn stole a base

Jul 18, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Adam Dunn steals base

Before last night, the last time Adam Dunn stole a base the Eliot Spitzer sex scandal was big news. Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers still existed. “Single Ladies” and “I kissed a girl” were big hits. It was 2008, and it seems so long ago.

But he did it against the Red Sox. Watch it here.

I don’t care if Saltalamachhia ¬†dropped the ball. There’s no excuse on the planet for allowing Dunn steal a base. If he even looked like he was thinking about it — and I’m guessing the long stare by Jon Lester at him suggests he was — one throw over and he’d be gassed by having to get back to the bag.

Really, I hope the Red Sox’ kangaroo court fines everyone involved here the maximum amount allowed under the kangaroo laws. Adam Dunn should not be allowed to steal a base, ever.

1. darthicarus - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

And this is why I used my last fantasy draft pick on Dunn this year…sneaky speed.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

When I looked at my team I truly thought it was a misprint when I saw the 1 under SB’s. I have to say I am floored.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I had to look it up on his stats, and saw that his seasonal average for stolen bases is 5, propped up by a 19SB 2002. Dude was a bag away from a 20/20 season. Who knew?

3. aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Did the first base coach tell Dunn there was a Snickers bar hidden under the second base bag?

4. Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

@cantpredictball

• 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

More impressive than Dunn stealing the bag? That NESN had the graphic ready to go even as Dunn was dusting himself off saying when his last stolen base was.

I was blown away. It was instantaneous. How could they have been prepared for that?

• bigharold - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

If you think about it that not too impressive. With the RS dismal history of throwing out runners they probably have that stat and graphic on speed dial.

Even though Capt Sucker Punch was thrown overbor, .. eh .. retired the RS are still pretty easy to run on.

• 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Jason Varitek is 40 year old. Do you think they should have kept him and his .300 OBP around for another year?

• bigharold - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

“Do you think they should have kept him and his .300 OBP around for another year?”

As a Yankee fan I was hoping they’d give him a 10 year contract for about 15 mil per.

• 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Well played.

5. deepstblu - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

That picture is next to “lumbering” in the dictionary.

6. JB (the original) - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I count 16 hams, 25 kielbasa links, and 2 sides of beef packed into that gunnysack of a uniform….

7. sleepyirv - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

He literally looks like he’s going to steal the base- by slowly sneaking up to it and holding his head low enough hoping no one will notice him.

8. uyf1950 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

“Adam Dunn stole a base”. He better put it back otherwise there will be nothing for David Ortiz to trip over the next time.

9. mvpolamalu - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Does this mean juan pierre hit a home run?

• seeinred87 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Let’s not get too crazy here.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Juan Pierre actually has a HR this season. It was a 3 run bomb a few rows back. He crushed it.

10. pellypell - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I just sent this picture to my little league coach, with the message

“And you said I didn’t have the body type to play baseball? Talk shit now!”

• jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Little league coaches are often middle-aged guys who used to play high school or college baseball, and their last memory of it was an intese, competitive coach, rather than the joy and love of the game that led them to play baseball to begin with. At least, that’s how it is where I live. I umpired little league and Junior Baseball of Oregon games (13-15 year olds) for five years, and most of the coaches were pricks. Kids are supposed to ENJOY baseball… let them grow that love for the game that we all have. At 9 years old, it shouldn’t be about 2 hour practices, running lines and being yelled at if you miss a grounder. Seeing coaches rag on kids was the hardest part of umpiring.

11. chumthumper - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Dizzy Dean (?): He runs fast; he just stays too long in one place.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5251)