And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 18, 2012, 6:12 AM EDT

April

Angels/Giants 22, Tigers/Braves 0: So, I’m a Braves fan and my girlfriend is a Tigers fans and each of our teams got the crap beat out of them last night. So we agreed that baseball sucks and decided to watch downloaded “Parks and Recreation” episodes instead. Good call, yes? I mean, Mike Trout and Buster Posey are good, but they’re not as good as Aubrey Plaza representing the moon in a model U.N.

Reds 4, Diamondbacks 0: We don’t know any Diamondbacks fans or else we would have let them watch TV with us too. I mean, if your team got shutout last night, you probably should have been watching different TV instead.

Rays 4, Indians 2: Matt Moore labored — he threw 90 pitches and walked five dudes in five innings, but the bullpen bailed him out and the Indians failed to capitalize.

Nationals 5, Mets 4: The Mets bullpen can do it all. If you need them to blow leads in the ninth inning: they got you covered. Tenth? Hey, they can do that for you too. They can give up RBI singles and triples. They can throw wild pitches with the bases loaded. Really, there’s no job too small for the New York relief corps

White Sox 7, Red Sox 5: Three run home run for Kevin Youkilis in Fenway. Drops mic, walks off stage.

Yankees 6, Blue Jays 1: CC Sabathia returns and pitches six shutout innings. So, all that happened with the big man gone was that the Yankees built the biggest lead in all of baseball and they got their ace rested some for late in the season.

Brewers 3, Cardinals 2: The stars were dropping like flies. Lance Berkman was ejected, Ryan Braun and Matt Holliday left due to injures.  K-Rod, taking over for John Axford, got the shaky save.

Marlins 9, Cubs 5: The Ozzie returns to Chicago. This was fun: Cubs fans booed him during a pitching change in the eighth inning. So Guillen pointed toward his ring finger, telling the Wrigley faithful that unlike the Cubbies, he has a World Series ring. God, I love Ozzie sometimes. Carlos Lee had a grand slam in a five-run fifth inning for the Fish.

Mariners 9, Royals 6: Ryan Verdugo didn’t scare anyone. He was lit up for six runs on eight hits in an inning and two-thirds in his major league debut. I mean, Vin Mazzaro came in and mopped up for the guy. And he’s sort of like a harbinger of death.

Phillies 3, Dodgers 2: Halladay returns. He only went five innings and didn’t figure in the decision, but he struck out six. It took five relievers to go the final four innings, but dadgummit, they held on.

Padres 8, Astros 2: Yonder Alonso had a homer and drove in three. Alexi Amarista and Cameron Maybin each had three hits. The Padres have been scoring a lot of runs lately. Weird.

Rangers 6, Athletics 1: Roy Oswalt vs. Bartolo Colon. Nice matchup if it were, say, 2005. But Oswalt did look like his old self, allowing one run in six and a third innings in the win.

Twins 6, Orioles 4: Three hits and an RBI for Joe Mauer, as the Twins knock off the fading Orioles. Zach Britton walked six guys. The Orioles got lucky with starting pitching in the early part of the season. Now it’s freefall city.

Pirates 6, Rockies 2: Andrew McCutchen homered. The Pirates notch their 50th win. I still don’t buy them as winning the central, but I think they can do better than 31-41 the rest of the way and get that sub-.500 monkey off their back.

1. redguy12588 - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Andrew McCutchen is 49 for his last 100. That is ridiculous. This man is having an all time great season, and all we’re talking about is Bryce Harpers triple. Cutch hit a HR almost out of the freaking stadium and I’ve seen Bryce freaking Harpers 2-5 line half a dozen times on the worldwide leaders so far.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

McCutchen play for the pirates in a small market. That fact and the idea that the Pirates haven’t been relevant in 20 years makes his story slow to catch on with the national media.
      Maybe the dreadlocks don’t help either. Sort of makes him look like the guy who just sold 4 ounces to an undercover in an alley.

• drinkpeepee - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The Nationals/Expos haven’t relevant since EVER, and Washington is less of a baseball town that almost every other MLB city. And mentioning McCutchen’s haircut while ignoring the one Harper showed up with when he got called up is a worse crime than selling narcotics to an undercover.

• Lukehart80 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Bruno, please spare the rest of us your racist garbage.

• cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

‘Cutch’s dreads? Really? He’s got great hair. Jose Reyeyes had great hair, too until that brain trust in Miami decided he needed to look less like the superstar from The Mets and more like any other ballplayer. Colby Rasmus is growing a fine ‘ole head of girl-getter (why girl-getter? ‘Cuse Curls Gets The Girls, that’s why). If ‘Cutch’s hair has ANYTHING to do with this then that’s a sad, sad statement.

• bmorelikeme - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM

@drinkpeepee

I will totally vouch for your assessment of DC as a baseball town. I live there and it’s awful. The stadium experience is pretty pathetic as no one in the place seems to know whats going on.

The team is legit though.

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

That’s a shame, because they have a fantastic ballpark. My only visit was actually a pretty solid fan experience, but it was probably because it was Strasburg’s return from Tommy John and that got the crowd going.

• rooney24 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Listen, I love McCutchen’s play. Glad that the Pirates are relevant. Their fans and players deserve this. He is playing great and is hot lately. But, let’s let the season play out further before we call it an all time great season. I know his numbers look great. I am not arguing how his numbers look right now. But, they are currently up due to the hot streak. They may settle a little if he has a cold spot. Don’t play sportswriter, like when they feel they have to name their MVPs at the break. Let the season play out.

Oh, and bruno just made himself sound terribly racist. McCutchen has great hair. It wouldn’t be a look for me, but it works for him.

2. kvanhorn87 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM

The Phillies hung on? Sorry Craig, they actually came from behind to win the game. And the truth is though they should have played much better against strife, the mere fact that they came back was impressive for this sad team.

• dennisund - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Yes, thumbs down to you for correcting a misrepresentation of what happened. That sorta thing is not tolerated around here.

• delawarephilliesfan - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Good point – not to mention there first win all season when trailing after 7 innings.

3. mj1818 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Not sippin the Pirates juice yet? Cutch still getting little love? I live HBT but give them some credit they had a tough first half schedule and now they have a weak second half schedule. You will owe Pirate nation if they win the central.

• redguy12588 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM

And Pirates fans aren’t getting arrogant. It’s that Cutch deserves the attention.

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Out of curiosity, who called Pirate fans arrogant? And absolutely Cutch deserves the attention. He’s deserved it for years, but now he’s getting it. I’ve never been to Pittsburgh, but I’ve gotten to see him play in both Milwaukee and Atlanta. Dude’s a blast to watch.

4. Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Having been trapped on airliners more times than I care to count with Porkin’ Recreation and/or The Orifice and/or Thirty Wrack playing on the little fold-out monitors I have to vote for a blowout baseball game every time. Just because airline food is insipid doesn’t mean my entertainment should be too. I’d rather watch reruns of classic comedies like The Jack Benny Show and imagine Scrooge McLoria in the lead role, where you can actually watch him going downstairs and navigating the massive security systems guarding his money vault while he fetches the luchre for Heath Bell’s contract, or maybe one of those seminal Canadian comedies like Leave it to Beaver that introduced the kitchen killer into our cultural jargon (a whole family of Cleavers) – or, at any rate, one of those shows from Television’s Cretaceous period when all the currently stale, wheezing, cliched, boring one-liners, dumb blank looks, extenuated dialogue and burned-out moves being recycled by Porkin’ Recreation were attempted the first time.

Slobbering Ozzie behaved like an idiot last night with that ring stunt. Let’s see him pull that crap on ten cent beer night.

• bsbiz - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

They have those shows on your planes? Man, I’m flying with the wrong people.

• cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I keep hoping for Benny Hill re-runs, but no. Its always The Office. Baseball would be GREAT.

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I would kill for some old Yes, Minister or Yes, Prime Minister shows. A few decades ago, when I was commuting routinely between Macondo and the magic city of London, British Airways ran a British Film Classics series – we saw The Mouse that Roared, Tunes of Glory, A Man for All Seasons, The Lavender Hill Mob, Beckett, Lawrence of Arabia and stuff like that all year long. And now, flying domestically on American Airlines, you get stuck with the entire vomit of retreaded inane bourgeois comedy shows like Porkin’ Recreation et al – horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwiches for the alleged mind. I’m surprised they don’t run the Me and the Chimp pilot on a loop. For excitement, you occasionally get an NBC Sports interview with Mia Hamm at home.

Frankly, though, on the drive up from Berea to Cincinnati Airport (where the new wi-fi system sucks, but at least they bounced Boingo, which sucks much worse and costs real money to access) it occurred to me that all of this is irrelevent per se. Okay, I know they do things a little differently in the midwest, which aside from the occasional fairy tale in their biology textbooks is pretty much OK with me. But if I’m sitting on the couch with my succulent young girlfriend and get bored with a baseball game, and the best I can think of to do is put on reruns of a blunt-end network sitcom, I would alter my will to donate my nether parts to the biology department of my local community college and move into a monastery. Craig, come on, man. Use your imagination a little.

• umrguy42 - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

OG, I always loved Are You Being Served? when it was shown on PBS in my area.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I’m free!!!

• dadawg77 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Wonder if he was pointing to where he would wear his 2005 or 2003 ring? Both would sting scrub fans.

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’ll give you a hint: it would not be on one of his fingers.

5. bmorelikeme - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

All along I knew the O’s were eventually going to fall off…but it still sucks.

6. aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM

The look on Bobby V.’s face after Youk crushed that home run was priceless.

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Ooh, did somebody catch his reaction when they cheered a player he ran out of town hitting a home run that proved decisive in a game against a team they’re competing with for a playoff spot? Because I really, really want to see that.

7. ezthinking - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Craig, you must have watched The Last Waltz last night as well based on the Youk’r comment.

Van the Man everybody.

• dexterismyhero - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

The Last Waltz.

One of the best DVD concerts ever.

Van the Man doing Caravan!!!!

• natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

+ many thousands for The Band and Van Morrison references.

8. beefytrout - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Solid win by Texas last night. The Rangers have had a somewhat difficult time with the a’s this season, and coming in to the game Ol’ Roy wasn’t exactly shutting things down and the a’s have been hot. Craig Gentry continues to make it harder for Wash to keep throwing Martin out there (but he still will), and Josh Hamilton continues to pile up the strikeouts. June and July have not been kind to the Hambone.

• beefytrout - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I also request that next week be “Aubrey Plaza” week, and every ATH post should be a picture of her.

9. uyf1950 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I just realized that the Yankees 9.5 game lead in the division is 10% of all the games any team in the division has played so far. I guess that’s what happens when the team is winning 29 of their last 40 games and the other teams in the division are “treading water”.

• protectthishouse54 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

This type of baseball is fun to watch. Everyone pulls weight. Last night it was Andruw Jones (again!) with a 3-run bomb to get it going. I was expecting some rust from Sabbathia, but there was none. Oh, and Cano extends his hit streak to 20 games. Just keep on rollin Yanks!

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It might be just me, but it seems like every time I watch Rapada pitch, he’s walking someone, making an error, or just being ineffective.

10. gmsalpha - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Wow. The first two sentences of this article both started with the word “So”. That’s just weird.

11. cleverbob - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Aubrey Plaza is everything that Zoey Deschanel wishes she was.

• delawarephilliesfan - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Thumbs up there!

And she is from Delaware, and a Phillies Fan.

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

When did Zoey Deschanel wish she was only mildly attractive?

• cleverbob - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

She is only mildly attractive. Aubrey is funnier and more attractive.

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I’ll give you funnier, but not more attractive. Don’t get me wrong, Plaza is cute, but she just always has that “somebody farted” look on her face. That doesn’t really do it for me.

• cleverbob - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It’s essentially a ‘smelled a fart’ poker face, which is the kind of thing I need in a woman.

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Touche. I may have underestimated that quality in a woman.

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Your standards are pretty low. The best women pretend that they didn’t t smell anything.

12. hushbrother - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The other day you said your main reason for not buying into the Bucs this year was their league-worst OBP. But that number is a function of their horrible first two months – despite the measly OBP, they led the league in runs scored in June. Their team OBP may not be outstanding the rest of the way (they tend to lead off guys like Drew Sutton and Alex Presley, who aren’t exactly Wade Boggs) but clearly the Bucs are capable of putting runs on the board.

I watch this team most nights and I see a team that’s clicking.

13. Lukehart80 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Playing .500 ball the rest of the way would put the Pirates at 86-76, which would give them a very real chance to make the playoffs (that would be a .531 winning percentage, which only four other N.L. teams are above right now).

The Pirates have 29 games left against the Padres, Astros, and Cubs, which would seem to go a long way towards making .500 ball the rest of the way a realistic possibility.

14. randygnyc - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Speaking of dreads, did anyone else notice that Darnell McDonald got released by the Yankees last night? This, after signing less than 2 weeks ago and was forced to cut off his dreads in order to sign with the Yankees. Funny thing is, I called his release, the day he signed (granted, figuring he’d be cut when Gardner returned, sighhhhh)

• proudlycanadian - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Remember what happened when Delilah cut Samson’s hair?

• thebaseballidiot - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Delilah didn’t cut Samson’s hair. I’m an athiest and I know that.

15. joshftw - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Maybe the Braves should trade their whole bullpen off and bring in some LIONS!

16. slumdog66 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Trout/ Cutch, mvps.

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

They’ve got strong arguments so far.

17. natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

For the second time this season, Ryan Zimmerman scored the walk-off run on a wild pitch (the other being the home opener vs. the Reds, when Alfredo Simon did the honors). Both bullpens wasted excellent starting pitching by Ross Detwiler and Jonathan Niese; credit also to timely hitting on both sides. It just seems like the Nats and Mets play strange games. No empirical evidence, just an impression from watching many Nats Mets games.

Thanks to the Giants, the Nats lead the Braves by 3.5 games. Jordan Zimmermann vs. Chris Young tonight.

18. APBA Guy - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That’s the A’s we know and love. Starting a 6 game series against the Rangers and Yankees at the Mausoleum, the A’s fielded their Maximum Offense lineup in support of Capt. (of the All Ugly Team) Colon. Unfortunately, the Rangers were not intimidated, unlike say the Mariners, and continually chipped away at the Capt.

Texas first run was classic Wash-Ball with Gentry beating Colon to first on an infield grounder, then taking 3rd on Colon’s throwing error to first on a routine throw-over. Kinsler walked, Andrus singled in Gentry. This brought up Hamilton, who for the past 6 weeks has seen a combination of change up at the ankles and slider/two seamer away and still hasn’t figured out how to recognize and lay off those pitches. The resulting multitude of strikeouts was added to here, ending the threat.

After a Beltre homerun in the 4th, Young singled on the first pitch he saw. It was apparent that the Rangers now remembered that Colon throws 90% fastballs and almost always tries to throw a first pitch fastball strike. Cruz-who looked lost at the plate a few weeks ago-lofted a deep fly to right that reminded us why Brandon Moss normally plays first base these days. Whereas Magellan and Mercator are synonymous with the Great Circle Route, Moss will forever be linked with the not so Great Curlicue Route, ending with a loud “clank” as Cruz’s fly bounded off his glove, generously ruled a double. Napoli singled in Young moving Cruz to 3rd. Then Gentry put down a bunt to Colon. Colon was not about to try to out race Gentry again, but the bunt had drawn Carter in from first, and Weeks was late getting to first on coverage. Everybody was safe and another run scored on the A’s 4th defensive miscue. Wash, the former A’s 3rd base coach, had clearly recognized where the A’s defensive weaknesses were and sought to exploit them.

Meanwhile, how was that Maximum Offense working? Roy was throwing a lot of speeds, including a 57 mph Eephus, and he was being effective if not efficient. Reddick did connect on a hanger, matched later by Hamilton when Norberto failed to get his slider below shin-level, and the game was effectively over. It’s Colby Lewis against Blackley early today. The A’s need to get the split.

19. mj1818 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Lukeheart and Rooney I can’t agree more the pirates have a weak remaining schedule. And yes it is too early to call MVPs even though it is just the most fun I have had in my entire life with baseball obviously being a Pirates fan. I just love entertaining the idea of it and would like to spread the word about cutch because he doesn’t seem to be gettin much love from the writers.

Bruno, keep your racist remarks off the forum. If you don’t like mixed races in sports, don’t watch. Cutch is a stand up guy so please spare us all when relating his hair to drug deals because not everyone with dreads is a drug dealer.

20. kalinedrive - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM

The Tigers were shut out last night for the first time in 158 games. Even when it was 11-0 I kept watching, just hoping they could scratch a run across to keep the streak alive. Of course, Raburn took strike 3 with two men on and two out in the 9th. He takes a lot of called third strikes. And when he swings, he doesn’t fare much better.

21. kevinbnyc - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I can’t reply to the specific comment from my phone, but cur, don’t talk about hair like that. It’s just gonna make Craig sad.

22. anxovies - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM

The only place I fly to is Vegas on Southwest Airlines where you are lucky to get a bag of peanuts and the passengers provide the entertainment.

23. ravenseattheirownpoop - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Hey Bruno,
    U sound a little like the grand wizard u ass. The pirates will win their division and make slot of noise in the playoffs suckers

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4975)