Brett Lawrie exits after spill into concrete camera well

Jul 18, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT

Brett Lawrie

Update: X-rays on Lawrie’s calf were negative, so the injury is being called a bruise.

///

Brett Lawrie‘s all-out aggressiveness led to a nasty spill today, as the third baseman fell into the concrete camera well at Yankee Stadium going after Mark Teixeira‘s foul pop up Wednesday.

Lawrie was able to get up immediately after the fall, but he was in obvious pain due to a leg injury. He was helped back into the dugout and into the clubhouse afterwards. The Blue Jays said he’d be taken in for precautionary X-rays on his right calf.

Losing Lawrie would be another big blow with Jose Bautista already down for the Jays. Yan Gomes would probably be called up to help fill in for him.

1. Stacey - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

And just in case you happened to miss it, the YES Network showed it about 400 times, in all speeds.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I’ll never understand broadcaster’s obsession with showing injuries, over and over again. “Let’s see this guy’s knee explode in super slo mo!”

• kinggeorge96 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

That would be ‘YES-mo’!

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Go over to “OFF The Bench” here on nbcsports.com. The douche who runs that site thinks gruesome injurues are awesome, and posts pics and videos of them everytime one becomes available.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Did they point out that he shoulda squeezed it for the out? I thought the rule was if you get your glove on it you have to catch it…….

• chumthumper - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Catching it is optional. There have been instances lately where you only need to make it “look” like you caught the ball to get the out.

2. Jeff J. Snider - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

His right leg hit a metal rail on the way down, between the achilles and calf, it looked like. It looked like it could be pretty bad.

3. cur68 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Smacked his right ankle onto a railing. Looked like it really hurt, too. What next? E5 has been great. I guess he’ll be struck by lightening or something. At this point I expect anything will happen to the Beaver Men. Jobu, why you do this?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I have always liked the way Lawrie plays the game.

4. jaysfan64 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

OK…now this is officially ridiculous…but I can’t say I’m shocked..due to how all-out Lawrie plays it was only a matter of what and when….

5. mybrunoblog - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM

His team was down 4-0 and it is over 90 degrees at Yankee Stadium. I’m not a huge Lawrie fan but man you gotta love the effort he gave on this play. Hope is is not a serious injury.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Well said. I went outside for about two seconds before I realized I could barely breath the air and went back inside. Meanwhile Lawrie’s doing this. He’s not my favourite player but you can’t not respect the way he plays. I too hope he’s good to go soon.

6. randygnyc - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I really admire his talents and ambition. His intensity is a double edged sword for him. He will have to learn how to harness that if he wants to be the superstar I believe he can be.

Also, I can’t believe the rain cloud the blue jays are traveling under. I don’t recall ever seeing a team decimated by injury like this.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Yeah no kidding, not since the 2012 Red Sox.

• coachbrew - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Or the 2011 Twins.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I’m imagining we’re getting thumbs down because people don’t like injured teams, not because we’re wrong.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Or the 2011 Cardinals. Or the 2012 Cardinals. Or the…oh what the hell. Everyone!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I think if you’re healthy, you’re good enough to play on the All-Star Team. Because clearly it takes tremendous talent to not be broken.

7. ronswansonsdinner - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’d like to shotgun a beer with Brett Lawrie.

8. jaysjunkie - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I was watching the game and got that all-too-familiar-this-season sick feeling in my stomach when it happened. As great as the slo-mo replays are, I think it’s actually worse to watch it in real time.

I don’t want to knock a guy for playing as hard as Lawrie does, but as much as I love the guy’s enthusiasm, I also worry that he doesn’t know when to rein it. I’d like to think that with experience will come a little better sense of when to pick his spots a little better.

All I know is that considering that was one long-ass drop he took, I think he’ll be extremely fortunate if the “day-to-day” prognosis is accurate and he avoids the DL.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 19, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Try telling any 22-year-old ballplayer to refrain from attempting to pull a Derek Jeter at Yankee Stadium.

9. jaysjunkie - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Oh, and Dirtyharry appears to be a little tardy, so I’ll beat him to his predictable “The Jays suck and I need to criticize them at any opportunity I get because I’m a sad, little man” comment.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

im proud of the jays to be honest with ya, today they “padded” their lead for last place in the AL east and scored a big 4 runs in this entire series (notice proudly is in hiding but had lots to say before the series). Nope the jays dont suck in my book, they are doing exactly what i said they would and they are making me proud

10. largebill - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM

For Lawrie’s sake I hope I’m wrong, but I see a lot of Grady Sizemore in his all out style of playing the game.

11. jaysjunkie - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Listen, I’ll say this once and be done with you because I’ve been online long enough to know it’s a drag coming to one of your favourite blogs, forums, or sites (notice “favourite” is spelled with an “ou” here in Canada…that must drive you nuts, eh?) and people having to sift through flame wars and other negative bullshit. I’m only contributing to that with these back-and-forths, but when a sad bully like you continuously insults my ball team and, more importantly, my country then I speak up. After doing so for a few weeks, I just can’t be bothered any more spending a single second of my life after this reading anything else you have to say, nor responding to it. I have better things to do with my time…like watch Blue Jay games.

The universally negative crap you spout here, like “i dont believe baseball should be in canada and the bluejays attendence kinda backs me up on that” (your shitty punctuation was left intact) is ridiculous. The Jays’ attendance is 20th in the league, according to stats released last week…not great, but far from the worst. Does that mean the other ten American teams below them are less deserving of teams? Your irrational hatred of Canada is pretty fucked up. I take IMMENSE retroactive pleasure in the hell you must have been going through in ’92 and ’93 when the Jays won the World Series.

Clearly, you’re not “all there”, which is the second best reason for not engaging you in a war of words. While that still makes you an asshole, it also makes me just feel sorry for you.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM

i think im all choked up after reading that jays spunky. But i will point out one thing, i dont hate canada, i dont even think about that country to be honest with ya but if i happen to i think one thing. Hockey!!! Which by the way i dont watch and never will and there is one other thing i think of. Draft dodgers!!! So thats two things (sorry) but thats another topic for another day. Well gotta go dry my eyes after your little speech there, lol

PS Dont feel sorry for me, my team hasnt been in rebuilding mode for 20 YEARS!!!

• cur68 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Pardon? Did you write “my team”?? “Your team?” You a Steinbrenner? Which one, then? Giant Asshole Harry “Convict” Steinbrenner? Do you have anything to do with that team beyond commenting here when they play the Blue Jays?

You are completely unlike any Yankee fan on this site. The Yankee fans on this site tend to be decent people. Unlike you. They tend to be funny. Unlike you. They tend to know a lot about baseball. UNLIKE YOU. Your only allegiance to the Yankees is that you claim them as “your team”. The only thing you know about them is that they won some games. Other than that, the sum total of your Yankee knowledge on display is that they are “your team”. I have as yet to see you comment on a single Yankee thread that didn’t mention the Blue Jays. You could give a fuck about the Yankees. All you care about is being as unpleasant an asshole as you can possibly be and spelling and punctuating at the same level as you mental age.

Look bub, you are no Yankee fan. You’re an idiot. An idiot and giant asshole who never grew up. And that is all you are. Don’t you dare demean the Yankee fans on this site by claiming to be one of them.

12. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Honestly anything you have to say is totally meaningless to me, let me start by saying that. 2nd ive forgotten more baseball then you will ever know and we will just leave it at that punk. Now you be sure to come on back and comment on my next post my little pet monkey

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act