Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi provides the scoop:
It doesn’t appear there has been much dialogue between the Brewers and representatives for Zack Greinke since spring training. As of Wednesday afternoon, there was no evidence that the team had made the 28-year-old a formal offer. And there isn’t much time left before the deadline for the sides to strike a deal.
The longer the Brewers wait to make their final proposal to Greinke, the less time they’ll have to move the right-hander if talks aren’t successful.
Greinke is scheduled to return to the Milwaukee starting rotation next Tuesday night against the Phillies after taking a week off to “recharge his batteries,” as Brewers management put it. The impending free agent has registered a cool 3.57 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 117/28 K/BB ratio through 116 innings of work this season.
The Rangers, White Sox, Angels, Braves, Cardinals and Orioles have been linked to him in recent weeks.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (129)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)