Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi provides the scoop:
It doesn’t appear there has been much dialogue between the Brewers and representatives for Zack Greinke since spring training. As of Wednesday afternoon, there was no evidence that the team had made the 28-year-old a formal offer. And there isn’t much time left before the deadline for the sides to strike a deal.
The longer the Brewers wait to make their final proposal to Greinke, the less time they’ll have to move the right-hander if talks aren’t successful.
Greinke is scheduled to return to the Milwaukee starting rotation next Tuesday night against the Phillies after taking a week off to “recharge his batteries,” as Brewers management put it. The impending free agent has registered a cool 3.57 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 117/28 K/BB ratio through 116 innings of work this season.
The Rangers, White Sox, Angels, Braves, Cardinals and Orioles have been linked to him in recent weeks.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)