Brewers haven’t talked long-term deal with Zack Greinke

Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT

greinke getty Getty Images

FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi provides the scoop:

It doesn’t appear there has been much dialogue between the Brewers and representatives for Zack Greinke since spring training. As of Wednesday afternoon, there was no evidence that the team had made the 28-year-old a formal offer. And there isn’t much time left before the deadline for the sides to strike a deal.

The longer the Brewers wait to make their final proposal to Greinke, the less time they’ll have to move the right-hander if talks aren’t successful.

Greinke is scheduled to return to the Milwaukee starting rotation next Tuesday night against the Phillies after taking a week off to “recharge his batteries,” as Brewers management put it. The impending free agent has registered a cool 3.57 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 117/28 K/BB ratio through 116 innings of work this season.

The Rangers, White Sox, Angels, Braves, Cardinals and Orioles have been linked to him in recent weeks.

1. randygnyc - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

If I was a betting man, I’d wager that the brewers don’t want to resign Greinke. They may make an offer just for show. The reason? Not sure, but it’s either they don’t think he’s worth market value, or they don’t have confidence in him going forward. They will trade him, IMO.

• maverick8948 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Judging by your name you are from NYC, making you a Mets or Yankees fan (assumption). You are right the Brewers won’t ink him to a long term deal, but you are completely wrong on the reason. Unlike the Yankees, Mets, and many other large market teams, its purely financial. The Brewers can’t afford to make Greinke an offer. The absolute best they can do is offer about $100m over 5. If you matched that with the contract Braun already has you would be putting nearly 1/3 of your payroll into 2 players.

Fact of the matter is the Brewers have a hard salary cap based on their financial situation that many (maybe only a few) teams don’t have. They were probably prepared to make a token offer and hope he took a nice hometown discount because he likes his situation, ala Braun, but when Cain got paid, that plan went out the window. My bet is he will be traded before his turn comes up in the rotation on Tuesday.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I also helps that the Crew has some decent pitching coming up through the system. They wont be ready for 2 years or so but they don’t need to overpay anyone right now. Thornburg has been giving up longballs so far but other than that has looked good as has Fieres. Add in Bradley and Jungman in a couple seasons and the Crew could have a pretty good, inexpensive rotation.

• brewcitybummer - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I still don’t think trading him is the best move even if you know hes walking after the season. The strength of the Doug Melvin era Brewers has been drafting and developing 1st round position players. However, the Brewers have been in a pattern of mortgaging the future since 2007. I would rather give Melvin 2 high picks and tell him to turn this team back into the potent lineup small market team and wait for the next right moment to buy pitching.

• brewcitybummer - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

The above thinking assumes the Brewers are blowing smoke when they say they can’t sustain the current payroll. I realize there’s a chance that’s bull and they doing just fine.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

You call it mortgaging the future but I and most other fans would call it trying to win now. His strategy took them to the NLCS last year, I’m not mad about it.

• brewcitybummer - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I’m not mad about. Its the right move and the only realistic way for the Brewers to put together a 96 win team. Its just not sustainable year after year.

2. jon623 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM

It’s going to be interesting to see where this guy lands. It’s interesting that not a single NL team is in the mix in these talks… there are some seriously high-contending teams on that list that would be awfully scarry with Greinke in their rotation.

• jon623 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Oop. didn’t see the Braves on the list. My bad with the NL comment. :)

3. fuddpucker - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Welcome to Atlanta Zack.

• kkolchak - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Career ERA: 3.80. Career postseason ERA: 6.48.

As a Nats fan, you can have him with my blessings.

4. ningenito78 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Take a week off to recharge his batteries? What the f–k is that? Anyway I agree with Maverick8949. Although I think if the Brewers offered $20 mil a year I think there’s a better chance he would resign. I know Cain got paid but I don’t think it’s comparable to Grienke with his emotional stuff being well publicized. Fairly or not I would think it would have some impact on his value but I guess you never know. It only takes one team.

• kkolchak - Jul 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I don’t understand the Greink/Cain comparison. If you look at their stats for the last two years when both have pitched in the NL, Cain is CLEARLY better. Greinke had one great season. Take that away and he’s a .500 pitcher with a career ERA around 4.00.

5. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Mark Attanasio better be ready for a huge dip in attendance

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3507)