Carl Crawford thought Francona didn’t have his back, likes Bobby Valentine just fine

Jul 18, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox Carl Crawford slaps hands with a teammate after scoring a run against the Chicago White Sox during the first inning of American League MLB baseball action at Fenway Park in Boston Reuters

Some have reported that Bobby Valentine has lost the Red Sox clubhouse.  He hasn’t lost Carl Crawford, however.

In an interview with WEEI’s Rob Bradford, Carwford first suggests that his struggles last year had something to do with Terry Francona:

“I didn’t feel like I had the manager’s confidence. I don’t know about the organization, but I don’t try and look past the manager so I feel like I didn’t have the manager’s confidence therefore I started to think something was wrong with me, and it just snowballed after that. It had a trickle-down effect, and it just got worse and worse as the days went by.”

His beef is that Francona dropped him in the lineup after only two games last year.  But, despite some stuff in the offseason in which Crawford was reported to not have returned Valentine’s calls, he’s just fine with Bobby V now:

I know a lot of people might have problems with him, but for me I just haven’t had those problems. It’s fine with me. I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, but as of right now me and Bobby get along just fine … I have to say that the support system has been really good for me, Bobby, and the training staff has been wonderful … The communication with me and Bobby, coming into the season that’s what I was worried about. It’s been the opposite. You can’t do anything but have high praise for what has been going on.”

If form holds, there will be a story in the Globe next week about how everyone hates Crawford now because he likes Bobby. Because, based on the coverage we read anyway, the Red Sox are basically a high school home room placed in the major leagues.

1. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM

and he’s playing like it thus far . . .

• djpostl - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Lol, just a large sample size…it must be TRUE!

2. ezthinking - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Two trickle downs in one day?! Shake three times if you must.

3. Glenn - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Francona moved him down in the lineup because he had an awful spring and he was never an on base guy to begin with. If he wanted to move up in the lineup, he should have hit. If he wants to stay at the top of the order now, he better hit now, or Bobby V is a fool to keep him there.

• skeleteeth - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Where would he hit with Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, and Gonzalez anyway? He’s not a lead-off hitter and I didn’t see him replacing any middle of the order guys. This signing just never seemed like a good fit in the first place, financially or otherwise.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

…and he publicly whined that he doesn’t like hitting leadoff. He thought he should replace Pedroia as the #2 hitter? ROY/MVP/Unofficial Team Captain Bilbo Pedroia? Good luck with that, and make sure you look into apartments near the 6 or 7 spot in the order, because that is where you should be moving once Pedroia comes back from his injuries, unless Bobby really wants to enrage his clubhouse.

• ltzep75 - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Is it that outlandish to think that Pedroia could bat in the 3 slot upon a return (provided Crawford produces)?

4. bigharold - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I could probably get along with Andy Dick for as long as these two have shared a clubhouse. Let’s see what happens as the season wears on…

5. mcsnide - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Whatever, Carl. My only beef with Francona’s handling of the issue is that he let Crawford bat 2nd for the first two games last year. Seriously, Mr. Career .333 OBP thought he should get more PAs than Pedroia, Ortiz, Gonzalez, and Youkilis?

I will agree with Crawford on one thing. It sucks to have a 20-mil player batting 7th. You’d like to think that for that much money, he could actually produce at the plate.

Bottom line, stop whining and play. Prove that you’re worth that contract.

6. Cyn - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

“He likes Valentine so far, … of course he hasn’t played for him yet but why let that fact get in the way.”

So the last two games don’t count as playing?

Plus, Crawford has been with the team on and off since spring training. Isn’t like he hasn’t had any exposure to Valentine. You don’t have to play for a guy to like him.

• djpostl - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

They don’t hand out world series titles in April and we can’t size this up until September…when Crawford has an OBP around .310 and his hitting 7th again.

7. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Craig,

Or, as I believe, that narrative about the Red Sox clubhouse is created by the catty high school jock sniffers otherwise known as the Boston Sports Media who spew their praise and vitriol interchangeably as they desperately seek attention and validation from the objects of their affection.

Honestly, if you listen to or read enough from them, you can’t help but wonder why they get so virulent and bitchy with some of their commentaries. Yeah some of it is to grab the attention of the reader or listener, but some of it is just bizarre.

I do tend to believe that the Red Sox clubhouse culture is flawed, but if it’s really as bad as its been portrayed wouldn’t we have heard from at least one player demanding to be released or traded?

As bad as it apparently was with the Youkilis/Beckett/Valentine love triangle . . . it’s pretty obvious that Youk himself, preferred to stay.

So really . . . can it be all that bad?

8. Bill Manson - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Another reson to distrust Crawford’s results so far.

9. randygnyc - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Give it time, Carl. Everything comes out in the wash.

10. crispybasil - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Interesting to hear that Crawford feels this way. Makes you (or at least me) wonder just how much he missed Joe Maddon’s managing style and the culture of the Rays clubhouse.

11. sabatimus - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I bet Crawford will sing a different tune once he falters and Bobby throws him under the bus in the media.

12. yahmule - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

There is nothing more tiresome than professional athletes whining about a perceived lack of respect. Crawford’s attempts to shift the blame for his frailty and poor production onto management indicates all you need to know about his character.

13. poprox13 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, it was all Francona’s fault you sucked last year. This is what I expect from a professional. go on…………

14. mornelithe - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Seems reasonable, I mean, take Youk as an example…I’m sure he had some questions about himself after Bobby’s remarks earlier in the season, and now that he’s had a change of scenery, he’s doing quite well for himself. Dare I say, back to the old Youk that used to frustrate the hell out of opposing teams?

Though, I should point out, it is a very very small sampling of games we’re looking at here also. Crawford’s only been back 2 games, and while I’m seriously encouraged by his production so far, he’s got a long way to go before he can be considered back to the old Crawford.

Either way, speculation is moot, Youk’s doing great, Crawford’s on the up and up. I’m happy for both of them.

15. jteekalall - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Red Sux nation is at a lost for years to come. Bobby V wasnt the answer to be an Amereican League manager. That team will break part real soon. look at their standings,trading Youk,please that team is going no-where for awhile

16. deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Do they make Red Sox uniforms like they wore in “A League of their Own”? Because with all the whining and crying they do up there, they might as well play like women.

• uyf1950 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Had to give you a thumbs up for that comment, it’s priceless.

17. ejannetta - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Anybody know the VEGAS line on whether Crawford and Ellsbury will be back on the DL
    by September 1st?

18. dontcarewhatusay - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Crawford just needs to shut the hell up and just play ball. Friggin monday…

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS