Jul 18, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Tests showed no tear or rupture, but with the 36-year-old designated hitter unlikely to play for at least a week even if it proved to be a minor injury there was no reason for the Red Sox to keep him on the active roster.
Mauro Gomez will be recalled to take Ortiz’s spot on the roster and suddenly the decision to unload Kevin Youkilis for little in return because the Red Sox had “too much” first base/third base/designated hitter depth is looking awfully questionable.
Ortiz, who played at least 145 games in seven of the previous eight seasons, hit .316 with 23 homers and 25 doubles in 89 games before the injury for his first OPS above 1.000 since 2007.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)