Jul 18, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Tests showed no tear or rupture, but with the 36-year-old designated hitter unlikely to play for at least a week even if it proved to be a minor injury there was no reason for the Red Sox to keep him on the active roster.
Mauro Gomez will be recalled to take Ortiz’s spot on the roster and suddenly the decision to unload Kevin Youkilis for little in return because the Red Sox had “too much” first base/third base/designated hitter depth is looking awfully questionable.
Ortiz, who played at least 145 games in seven of the previous eight seasons, hit .316 with 23 homers and 25 doubles in 89 games before the injury for his first OPS above 1.000 since 2007.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 7
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 15
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)