Jul 18, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Tests showed no tear or rupture, but with the 36-year-old designated hitter unlikely to play for at least a week even if it proved to be a minor injury there was no reason for the Red Sox to keep him on the active roster.
Mauro Gomez will be recalled to take Ortiz’s spot on the roster and suddenly the decision to unload Kevin Youkilis for little in return because the Red Sox had “too much” first base/third base/designated hitter depth is looking awfully questionable.
Ortiz, who played at least 145 games in seven of the previous eight seasons, hit .316 with 23 homers and 25 doubles in 89 games before the injury for his first OPS above 1.000 since 2007.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39