Jul 18, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Tests showed no tear or rupture, but with the 36-year-old designated hitter unlikely to play for at least a week even if it proved to be a minor injury there was no reason for the Red Sox to keep him on the active roster.
Mauro Gomez will be recalled to take Ortiz’s spot on the roster and suddenly the decision to unload Kevin Youkilis for little in return because the Red Sox had “too much” first base/third base/designated hitter depth is looking awfully questionable.
Ortiz, who played at least 145 games in seven of the previous eight seasons, hit .316 with 23 homers and 25 doubles in 89 games before the injury for his first OPS above 1.000 since 2007.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)