Jul 18, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Tests showed no tear or rupture, but with the 36-year-old designated hitter unlikely to play for at least a week even if it proved to be a minor injury there was no reason for the Red Sox to keep him on the active roster.
Mauro Gomez will be recalled to take Ortiz’s spot on the roster and suddenly the decision to unload Kevin Youkilis for little in return because the Red Sox had “too much” first base/third base/designated hitter depth is looking awfully questionable.
Ortiz, who played at least 145 games in seven of the previous eight seasons, hit .316 with 23 homers and 25 doubles in 89 games before the injury for his first OPS above 1.000 since 2007.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)